Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

BEWARE 'ME MAGAZINE' SCAM!!!

Hello everyone,
I want to make you aware of a scam I have been affected by, its for me magazine, they phone u and ask u to look at the pilot copy and do a review and they will give u 2 spa vouchers, but the catch is u have 2 pay £1 wiv a card but its secure as u dont give security number, believe it or not i fell for this and the mag arrived wiv 'surprise' no spa vouchers and a letter saying they will automaticly subscribe me for a year for £65 and for my conveniance will just take the money from my account, however if i dont want to subscribe i can phone the customer services line, which i have now done 5 times and left 3 messages the website is non -exsistant all the phone number in the mag no matter what its for goes to the same answerphone and message, i tried to email but email address is not available. I have contacted my bank and they have said if the money is taken they can investigate. PLEASE DO NOT BE A MUG LIKE ME, DO NOT TAKE PART IN THIS SCAM!!!

Replies

• Options
    Sorry you got caught.  They can be very convincing.  Once the first payment is taken, maybe your bank can cancel the direct debit then.  Hopefully refund you too. 
  • Options
    Oh no, poor you - thanks for sharing the info and warning us - there are some horrible people out there, di you may but cred it debit card ? You have more protection with credit card, but eitehrway contact your card company see if they can help x
  • Options

i have been caught out too but so far havent took out £1 from my bank, nor have i receieved the mag but am worried about £65 now because they have my bank details......should i cancel my card........ jodie what did you do???

• Options
    Its sooo annoying isn't it!!! The £1 will prob come out in next few days and it comes up as 'safe' something NOT me magazine, I didn't get the free spa vouchers as promised but they still keep phoning about moneysaving schemes, I phoned and left about 5 messages (because no-one ever answers phone) saying i dont want a subscribtion and if they take the £65 I would proceed with legal action, I left my phone number and asked them to call me back but never did ( the other people who phone always say they know nothing about subscribtions but will get the correct department to ring me, which of course they never do), when you get the magazine ( which is just full of ads) there will be a ref number which i quoted, then i suppose just hope for the best, I phoned my bank and they said if they take the money you can dispute it through the bank. Let me know how you go and if you find anything out.
    Best wishes
    Jodie
  • Options

i cant beleive i fell for it!!!! will let you know as and when they take £1 out and if they ask for more. they also keep ringing me about some savings club and i just say i am not interested. you say it is full of ads is it worth contacting one of the companies advertising to see if they are aware of scam!!??!! not that it will stop them.

hope no one else falls for it.

emma

• Options
    Hi yeah tried that, even the ads look like bad copies, and any phone number are directed to the same 'me magazine' answerphone!
  • Options

Found this to late and got had too. Same experience as Jodie, called no answer, left messages and nothing returned and e-mail address fails. Only hope now is to make the dispute through my credit card and hope I get refunded. Normally so careful about these things, but they caught me at a busy time. Even whilst I was doing it alarm bells were ringing, wish I had paid more attention and just hung up like I normally would. Never again.

• Options

I just had a phone call from them too and luckily I thought I would Google them first as alarm bells were ringing with an offer too good to be true! So annoying but glad I did not fall for it. Bronwyn phoned me tel number 029 2036 4220 glad I did not bother calling.

• Options

I have had exactly the same experience, this magazine called me and told me that the £1 would help a cancer charity and therefore I gave my bank details, I received the magazine and then £65 was taken from my account.  Even though on the letter it said I had 14 days to cancel the subscription they took the money out prior to the 14 days.  I telephoned and was assured I would be given a refund, that was over a month ago and now when you telephone it is an answerphone message and the emails get instantly returned.  I tried my bank but they would not take it up as a dispute and said I had to go back to the magazine.  So basically I think I have definitely just lost the money, but more annoyingly there seems to be no way to make a complaint - although I was thinking of contacting watchdog! - Zoe

• Options

Have contacted watchdog as it seems that we have all lost out and more people will too unless they are stopped.

• Options
    Oh no i'm so sorry they took your money!! They did'nt take my ??65 in the end, but i did phone my bank when i thought they was going to and they said they could re-imberse me if they did as i had tried to cancel the transaction, as its debit/credit card fraud and your permission wasn't given to take the money, if i was you i'd have another try with your bank, its worth a go. dont know what bank your with but i'm with lloyds, maybe they have different policies. Let me know what watchdog say. Take care.
  • Options

I have also been scammed by Me Magazine, also going by the name safe secure, the owner is wayne Phillips, has siz companies registered under different addresses. I have reported them to watchdog and consumer services, this man must be stopped, Low Life Scum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

I have also been scammed by ME magazine/safe services.  They not only took £65 they also took £35 for a VIP pack neither of which arrived.  I managed to get the number & a refund, ONLY to find they had still taken another £8.95.  They are Scandalous!!! Totally gutted I got caught!!!

• Options

hello ladies, i just wanted to say to you all that i got caught by me magazine/safe services too - first they took £1 then 3 days later £65 - fortunately my bank refunded me as I hadn't given permission for them to take the £65 and NatWest had me fill out a form so they could stop any other payments being taken and monitor my account accordingly.  However, safe services then gave/sold my card details to another company who operate in pretty much the same way but this time its identity fraud protection (haha!!) and they take £6.99 from your account each month.  Due to the small amount being taken I didn't actually notice til November but checking back through my statements I now discover that its been going on since May!! This time its being taken out by a company called SecureGuard, I just wanted to warn you all and I think the best thing to do (which I have had to do) is cancel your debit card even though its incredibly inconvenient.

• Options

Thanks ladies. I had a phone call today from them saying all the things you talk about but I didn't give my details. Thought I would type in 'Me magazine scam' and see what came up. They are phoning me back in a couple of days they said. Imagine what I will say to them now....scumbags.

• Options

Hello Ladies, Oh dear! I've been a victim too, £65 + £1.Thanks for the advise, bank said they will refund hopefully. I've just cancelled my card ( i thought the co was setting up a direct debit but actually they just take a straight forward transaction and pass your details to others without consent i've repoted them to the govt's action fraud team. ( I suggest you do the same in order to substantiate a pool of complaints about this co.) So annoyed!!

• Options

me too !  took the £1 then the £65 always an answer phone with no reply, the bank say I have to sort it out so cross I got caught,  even when talking to them thought I shouldnt be doing this but am a busy childminder som got caught !

• Options

Yes, I have got caught too.  They caught me when I was recovering from an op and thought it was a good cause.  I agreed to a £1 and then they took £65 in quick succession wihtout my approval.  I have had to put a hold on my credit card and I will have to cancel it so that nothing else comes out of it.  I have spoken to Me Mag twice and they have confirmed that they were giving me a refund.  I haven't had it yet, and the Credit Card company won't do anything because I haven't got anything in writing to say that they will refund me!

• Options

I cant believe either that I could be caught for this scam as I had just discovered that I had been caught by Perfect Radiance and Revitaderm who advertise a free trial of their products and then without asking you they take £140 odd  a month saying that you had subscribed to this. Fortunately before I realised that MeMagazine was a scam I had been in touch with my bank re. Perfect Radiance and Revitadem and cancelled my debit card so Me magazine can't take more money hopefully. Its not showing on my account apart from the initial  pound. My bank were very good and refunded my money as I had cancelled the subscription and just require me to fill in a form so that they can contact the firm.

I am staying well away from all phone/internet offers in future and will just have to put the phone down on these people.

• Options

I am so thankful to Santander who telephoned my mum today asking if it was ok to go ahead with a £65 transaction for 'safe services'. It had flagged up on their system as, I suppose, being a bit dodgy! Thankfully my mum had decided she didn't like the magazine and was going to call and cancel the subscription anyway but they were trying to take the money after only a weeks interval from the phone call.  My Mum's letter did come with a voucher at the bottom of the letter for the Spa treatment, but you have to pay for the Spa first and them redeem the £100 back afterwards. Santander suggested cancelling the card and my mum has agreed, I only wish I had looked Me magazine up sooner, thanks for the info, keep up the good work ladies !!!