Forum home General Chat General chat

Meals help!

My lovely Aunty has sadly got cancer and is currently going through chemo, so understandably the last thing she has the energy for is cooking!I have been taking her meals a couple of times a week so she has something to eat, but i want to do some meals that she can put in the freezer and then take out when she needs them.

I know this has been done a million times before. Any ideas? They could do with being nutritious but also pretty easy to eat and not very fancy as she often has days where she is very sick.

I am doing some cottage pies.

Does pasta freeze well?

I am just stuck as stuff that i would freeze would have a bit of spice in and maybe be a bit different to the normal meal

thank you in advance!

Replies

• You could do some small pies or a big one and portion it off. Pasta isn't great and it goes quite rubbery when its defrosted. Maybe if its in a fair bit of sauce it might be ok, like a macaroni cheese, or tuna pasta bake...

• I bought some tin foil containers from ASda for batch cooking. You can write on the lid. I've done chilli (buy microwave rice), fish pie is nice and good nutritious food and easy to eat.

• thats a good idea about pies, thank you! And fish pie. Thanks for the container advise Carole!

x

• Casserole, lasagne, soups.

• Maybe something she can have for lunches as well rather than just stuff for dinner. I could count on one hand the number of decent lunches i've had since A arrived! So maybe some quiches portioned up as well as the soups

• I've frozen chilli, stew, meatballs, lasagne, soup, cottage pie, shepherds pie, curries(do a mild creamy one if you're concerned about spice) and lots of various pasta sauces. If you're worried that cooking pasta will be too much, but don't want to freeze it, she could always have the sauces with couscous instead as its quick& easy to make. All the classics can be changed slightly for variety so a lasagne could be made with mince, quorn, veggies, pulses etc.

• when my mum had chemo she still enjoyed curry but they had to be mild in fact things with strong flavourwere popular because he chemo gave her a bad taste in her mouth.

Meal type soups (so lots of lentils or pasta etc) were good

mild curry

quiche frozen in individual portions

fish pie

make batches of pasta sauce cooking pasta is pretty simple so having sauce to heat up is a bonus

small portions was key and picky foods as she often only wanted a little bit of something.

Also has she got natural yoghurt or yackult/actimal type drinks, mum found these were good after chemo to help settel her stomach which in turn made eatin easier.

• Thanks everybody for your ideas!

Drifter - thanks for those ideas. Im not sure about the yoghurt, i will ask about that when i see her. Its made her so sick, and her mouth has been so sore with ulcers :(

x