Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

My son has turned into the devil - help!

My perfect little Lou Lou has turned into a terror and I don't know what to do Bawl

Since Sunday he's been a little shite bag. Telling us no constantly, refusing to do as he's told, stomping off into a corner to sulk, having tantrums on the floor, throwing his blanket around like a whip to try and get you with it....

I've been getting down to his level and telling him his behaviour isn't kind, it's unacceptable and if he continues he won't have x, y, z or he'll be put on the naughty step. This works until he's asked to do something and it starts all over again. Last night he refused to give his sister or daddy a kiss goodnight, refused to pick up his cup and was a nightmare to get into bed. So he went to bed without a story. Cue a massive hissy fit, full on snots & snivels. It was awful leaving him to fall asleep like that Cry

This morning he told me to get out of his bedroom, I gently reminded him he needs to be a good boy he gave me a cuddle and said sorry. But I'm dreading his hissy fits tonight.

Does this pass? Is it common in 3 year olds? I'm so close to shouting at him Cry

Replies

• Oh no!  Consistancy is key I think, keep reminding him that his behaviour is unacceptable and keep up with the naughty step.  Massively praise the good behaviour and hopefully he'll soon realise that its better to be good.

Good luck!

• Yep, normal!

E still does it and she is almost 6!

Be consistant, follow through and make sure your H is following the same rules! This too shall pass. Until it does, wine helps!

• I think that is him just being 3, unless he is coming down with something.  

Liam has them.  A. LOT.  I ignore them.

• Right, need to have words with H and K then cos they do try and negotiate with him. Need to make sure we are all doing the same.

Pass the wine!

• Yep normal, A went through this a couple of months ago.  It lasted a few weeks but back to normal now.  ALthough he did call me a stupid mummy the other day Devil

• P is an angel he really is but had a waver around that age. I'd always been strict so he knew he was testing me. I kept up with any rules or standards I'd had before (god that sounds harsh). I made a major effort for silly daft play kinda time too. It seemed with p that he just needed to mess a bit more for a whole. Almost because he was do good he was getting bored of it. If he started getting grouchy I'd try making a joke if it and bringing him around first. Does that make any sense?

• I am not strict in the slightest (big failing on me)

I just ignore or give in lol

• QS that does make sense. Morph I'm glad it passes! QS L does love goofing around and last night he was reak dancing in his pants scarf hat & gloves then it was bedtime.

Fi, what is M like? We have to be strict or he will stay up all night then be grouchy and we have such a routine he needs to follow.

• Tougher than me.  I don't know what you mean about staying up all night?

• What kicked it off last night was him not wanting to go to bed. If we aren't strict at bedtime he'd happily sit up with us til we went to bed but that means he wouldn't get enough sleep and so the viscous circle begins. We need to be out the house at 7.15am everyday. He needs to sleep.

• The bil's and sil's all know me as the strict one, all the cousins do too. Font get me wrong kids all have a ball here I just can't deal with a big free for all. The cousins climb furniture and just run riot it's mad.

• What time does he go to bed?  Was he tired?  I start to get Liam sorted about 7.30, he is usually sleeping for about 8ish, sometimes later.  

• He goes down by 7.30pm lastest. He's up at 6.30am

• We have to be strict at bedtime as well otherwise J would be up and down or have me up and down the stairs 20 times shouting for one thing or another.

• C's doing this at the moment and he has a real temper on him. He gets up in the middle of the night (always been a dreadful sleeper) demands to come in to my bed, wails like a banshee when told no so I have to get up and get him before he wakes the whole house up. When he's in bed he won't go to sleep because "I no like it sleep". He actually told me he hates me the other day! Bawl

He's not 3 until JULY. I am hoping as he started this phase early it'll finish early too...

• TBH Belle you're lucky to have got to 3 without any of this behaviour before!! A lot of kids hit 2 and turn into devil children! I swear on her 2nd birthday my eldest went from being a complete angel to being a complete horror. She is still a PITA now. However my 2nd, A, is a complete angel and at 2 & half hasn't hit the terrible 2's yet but I'll probably have problems with her when she's 3 instead! I don't know of many children who never go through this stage at all! Consistency is definitely the key and as much patience as you can muster which is hard I know.

• Eh where did you get that from Mossy? He was a shite bag before turning 2 then at 2.5 was my lovely little Lou again.

• Oh right sorry I didn't realise that. Just to make you feel better, my 5 year old is still throwing tantrums!

• I don't have a 3 year old boy, but i do have a two year old girl, she this sounds just like her at the moment.  We don't do the naughty step, and so she gets told off, if this doesn't work then we stop her from doing something she likes.  Yesterday she was a monster in sainsburys screaming because she wouldn't sit in the trolley and wanted to run around, so we took the ITNG magazine back that she wanted and didn't let her have it.  She screamed a bit more but i'm hoping that eventually she will learn that there are consequences to her actions.