Forum home General Chat General chat

Opinions on changing school holidays

What do people think about headteachers discussing changing the distribution of school holidays. I can see advantages and disadvantages. I don't think it would make holidays cheaper. If we had four, or three week holidays then people would be trying to have holidays in a shorter length of time so might actually make prices worse. Also it could make things worse if you work in a small team where people have kids and you aren't allowed to have people off at the same time. If the holidays are staggered in different parts so say one school had its holiday in July and another in August national kids camps such as scripture union, wec camps or music camps would not work. Also if you child has cousins or you have friends in other parts of the country with different holiday dates it would be difficult for kids to meet up. I enjoy spending time with my son. I understand the idea of having shorter holidays might improve learning, but what about all the kids can learn spending time with their family. You don't even necessarily have to go far for you kids to learn stuff. It may make child care easier but if you are just redistributing the holidays I am not sure how much it helps.

Replies

• I wouldn't mind shortening the summer by a week or two, but would like them tagged onto May bank and possibly Christmas. The weather is better at May bank and with xmas being such a busy holiday, having a bit longer would give you time to enjoy the festivities and relax or even go away. It won't make any difference to the prices of holidays as travel companies will simply up the cost for a longer period. I notice that some are already doing this as Feb half term and Easter were different in some areas anyway this year and next and Leicestershire, for example, have always broken up earlier and gone back earlier. They need to put a limit on how much holiday companies can put their prices up by in school holidays to make any difference.

• I don't really have a view on holiday costs but I would like to see the school year spread more evenly. I think a lot of kids don't capitalise on the summer break, can get bored, or lose touch with friends. I would prefer to see shorter blocks of terms and think it would help maintain focus/intensity in that time and give kids more frequent breaks to recharge their batteries and have some free time.

• I love the six weeks holiday, but I don't have kids yet! I don't think it will change holiday costs just make them expensive all year round so everyone is affected, children or not. Plus it will be a nightmare with siblings/cousins etc in different schools not being able to holiday together.

• I can see not everyone makes use of the six weeks holiday however I don't feel my school is supporting my son sufficiently so I will be playing catch up during the six week holiday.

• I'm more worried that as I teach in a different county to where my kids go to school that I might be left with different holidays to them.  

Also, when it's really hot and sunny outside, and they can do lovely things outside of their own volition, who wants to be sat in a stuffy classroom working?  No. child. ever.  Summer holidays rock.  

Another reason to add to my ever growing list of reasons why I'm going to be out of this teaching lark within the next 10 years.