Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Peoples top tips for keeping on top of cleaning, tidying and decluttering

I struggle with the decluttering as I am a hoarder. My top cleaning tip is to clean the shower with a cloth qand shower spray before you get out of the shower.

Replies

• Make a weekly cleaning list. I have a white board that I write all my cleaning jobs on for the week, spread them out over the week.

• Good one about writing a cleaning list, and spreading them over the week. I tend to have splurges of cleaning which isn't always the best. We do have a white board in the kitchen so that could work.

• Learn to be ruthless with junk (I used to be a hoarder) and focus on decluttering one small area at a time.

Don't go up or down the stairs empty-handed if there's something that needs moving.

Clean, little and often - if a worktop needs a wipe down, quickly do it.

• Tidy as you go and set small achievable targets with a reward at the end.

• I try and spread my jobs out throughout the week too...I clean the bathroom while O is in the bath, just finish the bath area off once he is out. Dusting while he is playing and he often helps ;-)

• My best tip - TURN THE COMPUTER OFF! Or smartphone etc. Give yourself a whole hour dedicated to chores, reward yourself with a Facebook catchup at the end of it. I'm awful for just sitting on the PC time wasting, but I've made a real effort not to turn it on until after the housework is done and the kids are in bed. So much nicer to sit editing on a computer in a clean house than sitting there thinking "I really need to hoover" but thinking I don't have the time....

• have an upstairs and downstairs day, do certain jobs on set days, I also write lists.

• Tidy as you go.

put things away once they've been used, don't just dump.

I have one time allocated a week to vacuum.

If I'm going up/down stairs I take something with me.

I don't do cleaning I consider unnecessary. For example I only iron if I have to, most things drop creases if you hang them damp. I rarely dust.

• Work full time, have two small children with no support around you, move house and rgadually you give less of a ***Wink

Actually I just write lists and aim to cross stuff off everyday.

I'm trying a new thing where you de-clutter ten things a day, it could be a paperclip or a sofa, but it must be ten things. Over a year that is 3.650 items. I had originally started doing a bag a day idea, but this ten things a day works better for me. I have also downloaded a list to give me ideas to cocnentrate de-cluttering on.

I've struggled with books so after getting rid of over 500 now I have decided with the others to put them in the attic when it is sorted. But I am starting to find I have more storage space than things now lol!

• I wish I cared more. If it's a toss-up between a tidy, clean house or time with those I love most, it's no contest! I'm pretty rubbish at all things 'house', though as I've got older I've found my limit as to how bad I'll let things get has reduced. I secretly envy those with beautifully kept homes, but not enough to take the relevant action :(

• I love the fly lady! I didn't get very far on her little programme thing-y but I still clean my sink every day!

I don't even go to a different room without taking something with me, let alone go up or down stairs empty handed. H and I are dreadful for putting things down in the wrong place and leaving it there so I try to glance around when I'm about to go to a different room and take what needs taking.

I hoover every day downstairs, including sofas and everything looks much better and brighter. It's the one thing I couldn't go to bed without doing!

Wrt hoarding, I've gotten much better as I've gotten older. If I haven't used something for 6 months, it goes in the bin or to the charity shop. End of.