Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Rainbow/beavers

a few children l knows go to rainbows. I never did any of that as a girl so don't really know what they do. I think she would like to go but am not sure which to send her to beavers or rainbow. When asked she said she'd prefer to go to beavers because it's mixed.

what do they actually do there and what is the difference between the two?

thanks

Replies

• I can only speak about Beavers (ha!) because C goes there. There are a few girls (can boys go to Rainbows?) and they all love it. They are always working towards badges - this week it was their IT badge, they had to design a picture at the group and copy it up on the computer at home. They go to events - they had an eco fair in town recently and the group did a stall, they'll be minions in the bonfire parade, they do church parades, go to scout camp. To be honest it's a great place he can go to let off some steam and play with his mates. It only costs me £25 a term.

• Another with no experience of Rainbows but Joshua has just started Beavers and loves it - they are working on their Promise badge at the moment, and play lots of games as well. He's also just been to District Camp which he really enjoyed. I like that it's mixed as I think it's good to mix with both sexes for him, it's a real mixed bag of personalities there.

• I think Rainbows is for girls age 5-7 (then they move onto brownies), whereas beavers is for boys and girls age 6-8.

My girls are not old ennough yet I'm afraid so I don't know much more than that.  I am hoping both girls will go to rainbows, but that's because my sisiter helps out at one of our local groups so they'll get to spend time with her whilst there.

• My daughter started at Rainbows and has now moved on to Brownies.  We didn't have the option of Beavers here but still think she would have probably stuck with Rainbows as she's a very girlie girl.  We had to help out occasionally as there is 1 helper short, so when I was there they worked towards badges in different things, sung alot of songs and played alot of games.  Also a couple of outings to places, but think it depends on the group as some of my friends kids were always going here there and everywhere at the weekend - but I can't be doing with weekend stuff as that is our family time.  

• My son went to Beavers (in a mixed group) and my daughter currently goes to Rainbows.  I've found Beavers more badge orientated, the Rainbow group my daughter goes to seems to be a lot more about arts & crafts rather than camping/adventuring/learning outdoor skills.  I know some Rainbows troops do camping but hers doesn't.  She enjoys Rainbows b/c she likes the arts & crafts and its less boisterous as at Beavers they do a lot of outdoor sport/activities which she isn't into.  But if she was more sports/camping orientated I wouldn't have hesitated putting her into Beavers.  She just prefers being with all girls and doing quieter activities

• I do know a girl that went to my son's troop that did both Rainbows and Beavers, she loved both.  She could always try both and see which she likes better.  troops usually let them come for a few weeks before you are inducted and have to buy the uniform