Forum home General Chat General chat

Recommend me your car?

Want to get an estate around 10k, 3-4 years old, preferably mileage less than 40k (but it won't do a lot once I've got it so it's not a huge deal if it's more).

I prefer slghtly larger cars and it needs exceptional legroom in rear for when my son is in the back. Would consider a jeep-y style if it fitted the bill. All the cars I like are out of our price range so I'm hoping someone can surprise me with one we've not thought of. We spent a couple of hours last week trawling round garages hopping in various models and ruled out a few (not that I can remember which ones, of course!).

Any ideas of what we should try out next? :)

Replies

• You can get a brand new Dacia Logan for about 10k (starting price for the basic model is about 6k (www.dacia.co.uk/.../logan-mcv)!  We looked at one and the only thing that stopped us was its size as i'm only little and I still wanted a hatchback, so we got a Renault Megane.

• I'd never heard of it! Though our neighbours have a Duster which I always think is a weird car name! It looks very practical. Hubby not keen on Renaults, but I have had 2 and liked them. I'll see if we've a showroom nearby, have a mosey. Thanks :)

• My little brother has the Stepway and it's a brilliant car. He has the top line diesel version of it.  They are economical cars both in price and mpg.  The bog standard version is very bog standard, and the top line version, to me is still quite simplistic, but it has all the mod cons that most cars have as standard.  You should definately go and have a look, even speak to a sales person.  if they are worth their salt, they'll be able to help you with the type of car you're looking for in the price range that you're looking for too.

I have been quite lucky in that my little brother actually works for a well known garage and as a family member, we've been able to get good rates and deals on our car.  I LOVE my car. She's technically my first car, but only because H owned the previous 2.  We had a wee 1.2 2005 Punto who was a brillant wee thing, and i was very sad the day we said good bye to him. Then we got a 1.4 5 door Grande Punto which I hated.  was a brilliant price for it, but i hated that car so much. it cost a mountain in fuel, and the boot wasn't big enough for W's pram so we went to the garage and told them we were looking for an estate car because i needed the boot space.  The sales guy explained that we didn't necessarily need an estate and that he boot on a Megane is pretty spacious if we were prepared to look at that as an alternative.  We looked, we saw, we test drove, I fell in Love and we bought her, and i've never looked back (except when driving....because you kind of have to...it's not safe if you don't)

• Sorry can't really help as not really had larger estates. Really dislike Renaulds as my Renauld cost me an arm and a leg. My husband has an Astra and I love Vauxhalls also like Toyota's and Nissan's. Also like Volvo's

• I think it's funny that you don't like Renaults, but you like Nissans....They're built by the same company.  

• I think it is just having a bad experience with a Renault but then you can have a bad experience wit any car, my friend had what she called a friday end of line corsa where bizaar things went wrong with the car including trim melting in the heat. It just seemed to be put together all wrong. I had realised that Renault and Nissan's are built by the same company, I had though Renault was French and Nissan Japanese or is that going back into the past. That reminds me my Toyota needs work doing to it.

• en.wikipedia.org/.../Renault%E2%80%93Nissan_Alliance The Alliance was formed in 1999, so is a relatively new thing.  You're right, you can have bad experiences with any car, i think it's just luck of the draw.  For the most part, Cars are all the same when you drill down into them.  They share different components across the board, including the actual frame of the car.  that's why there are so many different van/cars that look similar. like the Citroen Berlingo, Renault Kangoo, Fiat Fiorino etc, all look similar (same car, different badge) But anyway! That's not the point of the OPs thread!

Actually...Have you had a look at things like the Citroen Berlingo as a family car?  My parents have one and they love it! Hunners of space! :-)

• Hubby dislikes Renaults, but I like them. I had a Laguna that was nicked and I replaced it with a newer one. Had lots of fun in those cars (and a couple of speeding tickets, oops!)

Berlingo? I thought that was a van? Or am I barking right up the wrong tree?!

• No Berlingo's are vans, you're right, but you can get them as a car too. www.citroen.co.uk/.../citroen-berlingo-multispace

• We have a VW passat estate, massive boot and loads of leg room in the back

• H drives a Saab estate, very good car, he has the 9-5 hot aero, which keeps him happy with the speed etc, comfy drive and lots of space, he used to drive Volvo estates before, which is another option.

• I love Saabs.... There's one in our price range but it's about 65 miles away and because we tag-team the childcare I've no clue when we might get to see it, if we wanted to.

Yoyo, Passat seems an obvious choice for what we need, we've struggled to find anything 3/4 yrs with reasonable mileage, for the pennies we've got. There are some 5 years old though. Maybe we need to stretch our parameters and compromise on one of them to get what we need.

There was a Skoda Superb in work's car park today. That seemed to have loads of room in the rear but seemed a huge car overall.

• I've a C4 Grande and it is like a cave. They regularly come back from motability deals so you can pick up a couple of year old model, v low mileage, dealer service history etc. for around £8k.

• That *is* a good price! Weirdly, out of the blue, I've just got a company car as of my 10am meeting, so that saves me a LOT of faff. I've always stayed away from them but this isn't too bad on the tax, and as we'd be getting a loan - which I didnt' want to do - this seems perfect.

Thanks for all the help though!!