Forum home General Chat General chat

Microchipping kids

Came across this on FB today - what do people think? (hopefully should be public)

https://www.facebook.com/LostKidzApp/photos/a.311333818913768.65033.311208455592971/865289360184875/?type=1

I can't imagine it's a good idea; it just doesn't feel right.... any thoughts?

Replies

• I can see why it would be a good idea but no something doesn't quite sit right with it. Where do you draw the line??

• Exactly! And anyway, history has taught us that criminals will just find a way around it!

• I think the premise that you could find your child easily if they ever went missing is comforting, but there is a question of where do you draw the line.  I think it's too open to abuse from the wrong people.  You could do something similar by having it in their shoe  or clipped onto an item of clothing or something that you could remove it. I think i'd feel more comfortable with that kind of flexibility rather than the intrusion of an actual chip under the skin.

• Ahh RKB, see, I've thought about this too. I reckon then there would be a device created then that would locate it (not that hard to do from my IT background) and it could then be just removed rendering it useless anyway.....

• They use things like that on TV all the time, so there must be the technology to do so, or even a wristband they can wear that only the parent can unlock (password secure with added automatic alert if it's removed without the password type thing?)  My parents had a key sensor they used to attach to me when we were out because i used to wander off a lot, and it would go off intermittently so my parents always knew where i was

• That is possible but my experience tells me someone will just come up with a way to fool it - unfortunately, there's always ways around this!

• As with everything sadly Tayto.  I'm sure even under skin microchips could and would be removed if someone didn't want the child found.  I suspect the chips would need to be like the contraceptive implant and easily accessible in case they needed replaced.