Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Selling a car privately

Just a pondering really, I want to change my car once baby is here, and from looking online reckon it should sell fairly easily privately, so that's a better option than part-ex for me. But how does your buyer pay you for it? It's probably worth a couple of thousand. 

Anyone done it? How did you do it?

Replies

• I sold mine privatly last year to buy a new car for baby. My part exchange price was £450 and I sold for £1600 so def worth it!  I advertised in the local paper for 2 weeks, my buyer came and paid a cash deposit of £50 and then 2 days later did a bank transfer for the rest of the money and picked it up that evening once I checked it had gone through and he insured it. Best tip is right them a receipt for you and them to sign saying sold as seen and have one for them and one for you (don't know if it would stand up but reassured me a bit lol)

• Write not right duh!

• Cheers Noodle, I thought that would be the case but then wasn't sure that personally if I was a buyer that I'd transfer money to someone's account, but other than being handed wads of cash there wouldn't be another way to do it as far as I can see

• The thing that worried me about cash is- how would I know they were real notes? (I'm not very trusting lol)

• Yep I thought that too. And obv wouldn't take a cheque in case it bounced. I'm a bit wary of these things too!

• We have brought and sold  cars through Ebay believe it or not and I would also say Gumtree is a good place to advertise.   We have had people pay cash and via paypal, either was good.  would not accept a cheque.  

• Yep as Nina says eBay and Gumtree are best for advertising. People buying usually have cash ready

• I have both taken and paid with banker's draft, so that it's cleared funds from the off.

• I haven't sold a car, but I have bought one from  a private seller and I paid in cash. Then he wrote me a reciept saying I have paid in full, sold as seen.

• I bought my first car using a cheque, but they waited until it cleared to actually give me the keys!

When I bought my next car I got a bankers draft.

I would also take a bank transfer, but wouldn't ever hand over keys until the funds were cleared.

• I've brought a car privately and paid in cash.

• I've been really lucky and sold 3 cars just by putting a for sale sign In the window. All cash buyers. The last car I sold went within an hour of putting the sign in the window!