Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

So when can I take the decs down?

It's the first year I've been desperate to! Normally I would happily leave them up for ages and reluctantly take them down by 6th Jan. However I ahve lots of work to do so am glad for the distractionsLaugh

Replies

• I'd struggle to take them down prior to NYE... Are you really desperate?

I'll do mine the first wknd in January, actually looking forward to it!

• I nearly did it after the kids had opened their presentsLaugh I'll try and hang on a bit longer!

• Ha ha! Packing away tinsel while cooking turkey :)

• I hardly last until new year let alone the 6th. I've got a bit funny over clutter these last few years and flap trying to fit all the new toys in. Then next I want to strip all the decs down and clean. Baa humbug. I love it all I just hate how the tree gets so tired looking (curtsy of s playing with it).

• I am starting to take mine down tomorrow.

I do it slowly, so the room doesn't suddenly look bare. They will all be down before NYE, as I like to do a big clean, and start the year with a spotless house. (well, as spotless as it can be with 4 kids)

• Im taking mime down either tomorrow or Saturday.  Need the space back so I have room for S' s highchair cos we'll be weaning soon

• Mine won't make it to the New Year. I'm always desperate to take them down soon after Christmas too. I might start just taking all the cards down 1st as they're the most annoying when you're trying to dust and I don't think the girls will miss them.  Will leave the tree up another few days but def down before New Year!

• I'm itching to pack ours away too as everything feels so cluttered with decs and toys everywhere! I think.I'll try and hold out til Monday though

• Ours won't come down until the 5th Jan. I think I'm opposite to you ladies, I don't put them up until gone mid December and I like them up into the new year.

• Mine went yesterday. Feels great. Do it!
  • Mine went yesterday too.

Was only going to take a few down, but thought I might aswell take them all down.

My house feels so much cleaner and tidier for it.

• We are half wya through doing it. The tree is down and the decs are all over the floor. Some have been sqirreled away by the children and I need to find them to put them away properly. But already the hosue feels less cluttered. I need to do a glass and cardboard trip to the recycling. And I need to sort out which toys are goign and where to, we ahve doen it VERY late this year!

• Oh I feel sad reading this! I like to eke it all out to New Year, then it feels all symbolic and fresh and clean to start January by clearing out. I couldn't do it now, no way!

• Mind you, I'm so not a tidy person, maybe that's something to do with it!! Sounds like you ladies are much more houseproud than I! :)

• ROTFL For me it is more to do with the house being on the market and it being easier to look ready to sell. Whereas when we are in our own home I will feel differently!

• What happened QI, with the folk who said they'd sell theirs then go for yours? Is that still happening?

• I now have two sets of people that want my house but they need to sell theirs first. However a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!

• Fingers crossed January sees a lot of folk getting a wriggle on!

• Counter

Mind you, I'm so not a tidy person, maybe that's something to do with it!! Sounds like you ladies are much more houseproud than I! :)

Nah, my house is still ultra Christmassy and clean and tidy.  I love Christmas stuff out when it is Christmas time, not 1st Dec and down now, it's still 12 days of Christmas until 6th Jan!

• catarina

Nah, my house is still ultra Christmassy and clean and tidy.

Now I feel bad, ha ha!

I love Christmas stuff out when it is Christmas time, not 1st Dec and down now, it's still 12 days of Christmas until 6th Jan!

Nice! I want to make the most of it all! I've made quite an effort this year (more than any year ever prior, nesty?!) so I am in no hurry to pack it away.

I won't last to the 6th because hubby is working a lot the first weekend in Jan and we've got house things we need to crack on with so I'll use the time alone to pack it all away nice and slowly and exactly how I want to do it. If we all pitched in it would be an unholy mess!!