Forum home General Chat General chat

teachers gifts?

What does everyone get teachers presents?
do you agree with it or just go along with it to be polite?

Currently up to my eyeballs making cupcakes to take into the boys teachers tomorrow, only the icing left to do and I,m done

I enjoy giving gifts to the teachers my eldest son has Autism so all his classroom staff do extra things to help him so I like to show apprecitation.

Replies

• I think it is nice to get teachers a gift as I think all they do goes unrecognised and they aren't appreciated enough, Was going to make them bags but haven't had the time. So am giving either a tin set or toiletries.

• Never did it in my day, ha ha!!! I think my son wrote a lovely letter and drew a picture for a teacher who was leaving, he was about 8.

I think it's a nice gesture, but I can't help but think it must - in some cases - be insincere. I have read threads of mums feeling pressured to contribute, for example. And I'm sure teachers don't expect gifts, so wouldn't be offended if they didn't go home with 30 presents at the end of the year.

• My dad has taught 14-18yro for over 25yrs and I know he appreciates any gift his students bring him. It's definitely different at that age because it is 100% coming from the student, but teachers of younger children understand that it's a lot for parents to think of a gift for their child's teacher as well. It's always difficult to try to spend as little as possible, but just keep in mind that 10-20 other parents are also thinking of gifts, and candy, chocolate, etc. will most likely going to go to waste. Something that the teacher can use regularly weather it be for her desk, at home, her drive over, or even if she's known to wear scarves or other accessories. Things like that are a bit more practical....but no matter what they will still be appreciative of the fact that you went out of your way to make or buy something :)

• I don't expect gifts at all, but it is nice to get them, like it is to get any present.  Not everybody buys gifts and that's fine.  Anything edible or wine goes down well with everyone I've ever worked with!  There's only so many world's best teacher mugs and coasters you can use ;)