Forum home General Chat General chat

Terrible exam results!

My son totally flunked his AS levels. I'm furious with him (saw this coming) but also know how hard it can be. School hasn't been the same for him the last couple of years.

I really hope he sees that this isn't the end, just the beginning. Hope he uses this as a wake-up call and cracks on with finding something that is good for him :)

I'm gutted but I won't be telling him that!

Replies

• What is his reaction? What did school advise?

• Devastated. I've not seen him. He seemed pretty sick before I left for work. He's texted. He's playing cards with friends right now

He was under the impression teachers would be there to talk to, but all he could do was make an appointment to see head of house because no one relevant was there, which is disappointing. We were counting on the school for a bit of guidance. I don't know what happens now :-/

• Where I work, if a year 12 flunks their year, then they can retake year 12 but they'll be closely monitored. If he's not interested in college, the could go for an apprenticeship or go into full-time work. That's a poor show with his teachers - I'd make the appointment with the Head of House and go from there. It's not the end of the world either, it just depends on what he wants to do and where he sees himself further down the line.

• He's going to call the school next week when there should be someone available. I'm really not sure school is the best option for him. It's a fantastic school though :(

I didn't think we'd be here so soon! He didn't finish his lessons so can't drive so locations for education/apprenticeships are limited, unfortunately. Argh!

• It is not the end of the world there are a whole wealth of opportunities out there. I just wanted to share what happened to me. I well and truely mucked up my 'A' levels. My mum died just after I sat my 'O' level's and I ploughed straight into A levels and I really needed to take time out. I ended up just getting one A level, I ended up doing a HND at a Poly for two years and then went into the second year of a degree course. After the degree course I ended up doing a PhD.

• Oh dear. One of my friends' son got less than predicted - another in a good school, keen student etc. bit of a disappointment for them too, though he still got into the uni he wanted on the poorer than predicted grades. Apparently the grading system has been harsh this year.

Wake up call for him perhaps? Gosh, I'm glad I don't have to be 18 again!

• It's a lot of pressure at that age!  I'm not ready for him to leave school earlier than we thought, I've been so teary (not in front of him). But we'll sort it. There's much fewer options for part-time study than when I did it, but we'll see how it goes.

WF - I understand, although I didn't have to deal with a scenario as tough as yours, but I did go back and study and get qualified and I was expelled from college at 17. If you're not in the right place to learn it won't happen, and there's more to life than a CV :) xx

• I'm sorry to hear you're so upset. My son's friend did something similar with his AS levels, managed to pull it back slightly in the second year and wangled his way into uni doing a course he thought he would like rather than one he thought would give him better prospects. He graduated with a 2:2 which he and his mother were slightly disappointed with but a year and a half later he's doing very well for himself in a marketing role.

My sisters son didn't even bother with college, got a job as an apprentice at a local garage, and is now a part owner in a new garage he set up with his friend. I guess what I'm trying  to say is grades aren't the be all and end all. If your son has the right attitude, which he may be yet to grow into, he will be fine.

• Aw thank you! I'm really hopeful. We went and met with his head of house, gave some feedback and signed off from the school's books. I cried after (wuss!) but now we're both excited about the future. His books for his  online study materials have arrived and now he's not tied to a school schedule we're going to try and do a city break, the 4 of us, to mark his 18th later in the year. It all stressed me right out but now we've a plan I feel much better :)

I was expelled from college at 17 but went and sorted a career after Harry was born and I couldn't be happier in my work.

• Hopefully this will be a wake up call for your son, but try to stop him getting too stressed and panicked about things otherwise that could just make things worse. My best friend did really badly in her AS-levels (DDE) but she made up for it in her second year and got decent grades and got into her chosen university. So don't despair, it's not the end of the world :)