Forum home General Chat General chat

Nursery floor

Wood or carpet?

The carpet that is currently in there needs replaced anyway, so we are definitely changing it. I love a carpet for cosiness, but am contemplating whether wood would be better for ease of cleaning up all of the mess that babies bring? I could always put a nice big rug in later?

What do you have? What would you have if you could click your fingers and change it? Pros and cons for both? I'm sure I must be forgetting something important.

Replies

• We have carpet for cosiness and also because a wooden floor upstairs would be noisy for anyone downstairs I think? In hindsight, I wouldn't have gone with cream though, maybe a darker, more practical colour.

• Thanks Popcorn - we are in a house, not a flat, so noise not a concern. Downstairs is all wood/tiled. The stairs and upper landing are carpeted, our bedroom is wood due to having the en-suite (wet feet on carpet - yuk!), guest bedroom is carpet, nursery is currently a black carpet (was an office) so definitely needs to go either way!

• I have carpet in our nursery, it was nicer when it was winter and going in there at night not too have cold feet

• We debated this for ages, but went with a long pile deep blue carpet. Never bought long pile before but it is. Really soft, feels lovely underfoot and will be good when the start crawling. So far no problems with it.

• We are in a house too, I didn't want noise downstairs in our living room.

We have deep pile in our bedroom raincloud, it's sooo lovely!

• We went for wood, but in hindsight (and when we move soon) I'd go for carpet.  Z doesnt spend much time up there, basically nappy changes on the changing table and bedtime so very little mess is produced to worry!  I'd perhaps go with a darker chocolate brown or blue though.

• Laminate with a big rug. Babies make mess, have had a few erm... *TMI* projectile incidents and I'm not sure a carpet would have survived them! Noise has never been an issue, maybe because the laminate has the foam underlay.

• We have laminate and are gonna get a rug. However, we are planning to carpet our living room for once baby is crawling etc.

• We have cream as it was here when we moved in. Given the choice I would still go with carpet but maybe a grey/steel colour it's a darker colour and goes with yellow/green decor, well most decor I suppose :)

• L and I had wood flooring, baby going in the box room and has carpet.

• We have a cream carpet as that's what was there. It's essentially the box room as we were hoping to move when we did it up and didn't want to make too many changes. Even now she doesn't actually spend much time in there (only nappy changes, getting dressed and bed) so she doesn't make much mess.

• We have floorboards painted white.  I think they look great.  It's above our dining room so the noise isn't really an issue, and i can't say i've ever heard footsteps anyway.  

• We're leaving carpet. Baby's room is too small for them to play in and I'll probably dress them on my bed!

• Until a few months ago I would have said carpet but we've just been through the potty training stage and luckily were staying in a rented house with laminate floor at the time. There was quite a few incidents of poo smearing!! Sorry if it's TMI, and not all children do it. But I was so so grateful her bedroom floor was laminate. Because she spread it EVERYWHERE!!!!! If I had bought a lovely new carpet I would have been devastated. She's over that stage now luckily. She goes to toilet during the day but at night time has a potty in her room and there are still odd mornings where she has accidentally knocked it over!!

we have just moved house and there is carpet in the bedroom which does look quite old but I'm leaving it until B has got past potty training then I'll rip it out and put nice new carpet down.

• We've just put a brown carpet in the bedrooms. The guy in the shop said that all carpets (apart from wool ones) are now bleach-washable

• We are in a rented house and the nursery has floorboards and we have put a big rug down. Downsides are learning which are the squeaky floorboards so you know which to avoid! Also we are hoping it wont be too cold in the winter!
  • A mixed bag then. The nursey will be white and yellow so I can't think of any carpet that will look good other than cream, which I'm keen to avoid. I'm leaning towards laminate, as we will have foam underlay which should combat coldness and squeakiness. A big rug will hopefully make it cosy.

• Sounds lovely Saffron