Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What do you think?

The stairs carpet is a white/cream colour. It has been in the house since before we bought it so well over 8 years. It was next on the list to change but obviously won't be bothering now. I have cleaned it with carpet cleaner and it hasn't made much difference to it. I was thinking of spraying it with a dilute bleach to get some of the grey out of it - what do yout hink?

Obviously would try it on a discrete area first in case it doesn't work!

Replies

• Options

Hmm dunno.  Could you not get it professionally cleaned?

• Options

No. Get a quote for it to be cleaned, it will be around £30 if that. x

• Options

I wouldn't use bleach either.

• Options

I've done the carpey cleaning tack and it still looks like crap to me. The dining room carpet is the same and it has been cleaned by a Bissel five times and still doesn't look great. I've used avrious different products. I'm not talking about puring a bucket full of bleach over it. No one has said why not to bleaching it - is there a particular reason or you jsut wouldn't risk it?

• Options

just wouldn't risk it. If it was a last resort I might but not if I couldn't afford to get a new one if it rotted it

• Options

I wouldn't risk it as I think it will go blotchy.

• Options

I think it would go blotchy.  Why don't you just get it professionally cleaned?

• Options

I think it will burn it!

• Options

snow white

I think it would go blotchy.  Why don't you just get it professionally cleaned?

Becquse they use the exact same stuff I have bought myself and used so how is payign someone else to use the same cleanign materials that I ahev used to clean it going to make it any different?

By burn it if you mena it will react chemically - now that has got me interested!

On the blotchy front - that's a really good point unless I use the bleach in the Bissell so ensure a full coverage.

S&M~(!) Good point not worth the risk if I can't afford to replace it...

• Options

Ah so do you have a proper carpet cleaning machine?  I'm presuming thats what the Bissell is?

• Options

Yes sorry. Come on SW don't you autmatically know everything I own?Laugh We got it a few years ago when the dog went through a delightful habit of randomly shitting in the house and rather than having someone come out and professionally clean the carpet once a week (or more!) we got the Bissell. It was fabulous help when B was PTing as well.

• Options

Just a thought, what's under your carpet? On the stairs I mean, what's the wood like?? And the landing? Could be an idea just to remove the carpet and maybe stain the wood?

• Options

Louise

Just a thought, what's under your carpet? On the stairs I mean, what's the wood like?? And the landing? Could be an idea just to remove the carpet and maybe stain the wood?

If I was staying yes I would as I'm not - nope! Wood at the top of the stairs was massacred whilst looking for a pipe a couple of years ago - appreciate the idea - its the (I ahte this phrase) out of the box thinking I need!

• Options

Ah right then there is no point in getting it professionally cleaned then Laugh  I can't even blame the wine because I hadn't drank any when I first replied.

Totally off the subject but how do you quote, I haven't learnt to do that yet.

• Options

snow white

Ah right then there is no point in getting it professionally cleaned then Laugh  I can't even blame the wine because I hadn't drank any when I first replied.

Click use advanced reply under the post you want to quote, it should coem up with a box that states quote original postBig Smile

• Options

Pittabre

snow white

Click use advanced reply under the post you want to quote, it should coem up with a box that states quote original post

Aha