Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Wooden trains or take and play Thomas?!?!

Hello

I haven’t posted for long time but I have been lurking and now I’ve remembered my password I thought I’d make the effort!

Quite a random question but I’m trying to decide whether to get LO a wooden train set or some take and play Thomas sets for xmas (early I know!). I was set on a wooden train set but he loves Thomas at the mo and plays with his Thomas engines a lot (no track) so now I’m thinking about the take and play sets even though I like the idea of the wooden trains better.

Does anyone have any experience of what were a hit in their house? Or any other hints?? He will be 2 in January and is train / transport mad!

Thought I’d start off lightly with my posting again….

Replies

• I think the wooden train sets look lovely, my cousins daughters boys had a lovely set which was permantly set up on a specially designed table. We had some wooden train tracks however we ended up with more of the take and carry and personally I think they are better. We had a carry set which my son when he was younger used to take to lots of places. We were also able to pick up tracks and bits and peaces cheaply at various places including home bargains.

• The Wooden stuff is much nicer and they do wooden Thomas and Friends trains too!

• If it's any help TK Maxx have Brillo (sp?) at the mo - we got our LO a 'first train set' for £16 which is from 1.5 yrs which we'll keep probably until his first birthday... they had other ones from 3+ inc. smaller sets similar price to what we paid up to big starter sets for £60. No help on which type to get him but if you decide on the wooden type they are really lovely- I was gutted to stop at the starter set, wanted to buy more!

• Not the best pic (and it's sideways for some reason!) but my 2.5 year old loves his wooden stuff, he made this track himself tonight so I've left it out for him tomorrow lol.  The majority of it was originally bought for his 9 year old brother.

• Thanks everyone.  Winterflower, I wondered the same about whether he would use thmas more but Alaina that train looks fab, my LO would LOVE that!

Rose - I will take a look at TK Maxx .  I bet he ends up with both sorts now!

• The other place which sells wooden track is Ikea and the trains will run on it.

• Rafferty has a mixture of Brio, Big Jigs, Ikea and Tesco.  They all fit together no problems.

• My little boy loves the take n play sets. He has loads of the trains too. We also have Thomas Trackmaster too. He has wooden track but it very rarely gets played with

• I am pleased to see this thread as wondering what to buy our LO for Christmas. Love that the brillo, tesco, ikea etc. all work together so think we will go for that. Not least because I am a bit sick of all the bright plastic in our living room ha ha!