Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

You'll post 973 photos of your child online before they turn 5, apparently. Sound right to you?

Hello

By the time a child is 5, there will be 973 pictures of him or her online already, according to a study of 2000 parents by The Parent Zone for Nominet.

And many of those images, according to the study, will have been uploaded to Facebook or Instagram without checking privacy settings first – meaning some parents are creating a 'digital footprint' for their child that he or she has no control over.

How many pics of your baby or child have you shared online? Does 973 by the age of 5 sound about right to you? Or way over the top? Or, gulp, way too little?

And, whether you post pics up online or not, are you worried about your child's online privacy? Or do you think that, by the time they grew up, no one will care about these things any more – and everyone will have an online back-library of Embarrassing Pics My Parents Uploaded Of Me When I Was Small?

Do let us know what you think! We'd love to know...

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/126528.jpg

Replies

• Options

I upload pics of my daughters to Facebook. I, however, am absolutely certain that my privacy settings are strict and I know that not just anyone can view them. 

• Options

Nope, that's completely out for us. I very very rarely upload pictures of DD, in total I've uploaded 7 pictures in 2 years so I doubt very much I'll get to that many in another 3 years!

me and hubby are very anti-pics on fb, and our privacy settings are very high anyway. Sometimes relatives upload pictures but they ask for our permission first. 

• Options

I have posted 1 picture on Facebook and one on Instagram. as proud of my son as I am, if the people on my friend's list/following me aren't interested enough to arrange a visit to see him, why should I band his photo all over the Internet. If people are so bothered, they'll get in contact and see him in the flesh

• Options

Post deleted by MadeForums. Here's a link to our Chat guidelines.