Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Can you be a mother if you don't have kids? Kim Cattrall thinks you can. What do you think?

Hello

We've just published a news story today about Sex And The City's Kim Cattrall. 

She's saying she thinks of herself as a parent, even though she doesn't have any children of her own. And that's because she spends 'maternal' time with her nieces and nephews, and with the younger actors she mentors.

"I am not a biological parent, but I am a parent," she's said on Radio 4 Woman's Hour. "I have young actors and actresses that I mentor, I have nieces and nephews that I am very close to.

"There is a way to become a mother in this day and age which doesn’t include your name on the child’s birth certificate. You can express that maternal side, very clearly, very strongly. It feels very satisfying."

What do you think? Is she right? Can you feel like a mother, even if you don't have children of your own? 

Or do you think Kim's wrong to call herself a parent when, biologically, she's not? 

Please do let us know. We'd love to hear your views on this.