Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

The sex talk: what age would you (or did you) talk to your child about the old birds and bees?

Hello

We've just read some survey results that suggest parents wait till their child is 10 years old before they have 'the talk' about sex.

And we're wondering, does that seem about right to you?

Or would you wait longer? Or want to tackle it earlier? Or maybe you'd rather spare yourself some squirming and leave it to the teachers at school?

Do let us know what you think. We'd love to hear your views on this one!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/132554.jpg

Replies

• Options

10 is too old, IMO. I tried to chat to my oldest about it when she was about 9 and she said oh i know all that already, mum!

• Options

With being pregnant my girls 5 & 7 were curious as to how baby got in my tummy...my partner and I are very open and I personally see little point in potentially lying to them about something as natural as sex. 

We reversed the question when they asked- how do YOU think baby was made? Their answers surprised us. My 7 year old said "from love and cuddles" my 5 year old said "from your balls" pointing at her Dad! Both answers were essentially correct. We have explained sex in a very age appropriate way.