Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Kate Winslet bans her kids from social media – but would you?

Hello

We've been reading a recent interview with actress Kate Winslet, where she says social media, like Facebook and Twitter, makes her "blood boil". And is the reason, she says, that she won't allow social media in her house.

Kate, who has 3 children (including a 15-year-old daughter), says the pressure children feel to get validation on social media is a "huge problem... because all they ever do is design themselves for people to like them".

She also says she thinks smartphones and tablets are increasingly eating into family life and that we parents should get tough on our technology-engrossed kids. "It's important," she says, "to say something publicly, like, 'Let your kids climb trees. Take the device out their hand. Play Monopoly!"

So do you agree with Kate? Would you/do you ban your children from social media? Do you think most kids spend too much time on phones and tablets?

Or do you disagree? And think social media, phones and tablets are all just part of modern family life now?

Please do let us know what you think by adding a post to this thread. We'd love to hear your views!

Replies

• I agree with her - half of it 😊 You cannot ban it totally. I am dreading to think what life will be like when my son is going to be a teenager! ☺

• I agree ish lol 

Certainly restricting time on technology and close monitoring whilst using anything...

I am on facebook and twitter (I use fb to share moments with family mostly) but would be a huge hypocrit if I banned my children from ever using it! I think focus should be more on ensuring children arent afraid to be themselves and confident and knowing what keeps them safe.

My 6 year old is obsessed with minecraft and so he gets tablet time to play it but of course he is supervised and if mummy says enough then he turns it off immediately or risks losing it. If his behaviour has been good he gets an hour of "game" time which is his choice to watch tv or tablet. I won't allow a phone until secondary school as he just doesn't need one until then. If he wants to talk to someone he can use mine. 

There are a lot of very good educational apps around which are wonderful. Schools are also using tablets etc. We live in a very technological age right now so may as well embrace it!