Forum home General Chat General chat

i got called a weirdo

This may sound like a silly problem, but I was walking my normal route to the shops after dropping the kids off at school, on my way I walk past another school, I've always been a smiley person, if I see a cute dog or a sweet kid toddling along or I just genuinely smile at people walking past, so I 'm walking past a group of women with their toddlers outside this school gate, and I smiled at the toddler there as she was toddling around, but she fell over, so one of the mums took my smile as laughing at her child falling over, I tried to explain myself but they wouldn't listen and started calling me a weirdo, the problem with me is I'm not someone who can walk away from things and forget about it, it plays on my mind, now I'm worried that everytime I walk that way and see them they are going to shout out at me that I'm weird in front of people, its also made me think am I weird for smiling at people I think in future its just best if I keep my head down and not make eye contact with anyone. I'm so worried about it how can my smile get me in trouble

Replies

• This is part of what's wrong with the modern world. Let me be perfectly clear, you are not weird for smiling at people. There's nothing wrong with trying to spread happiness and positivity. In fact, I think you'll be surprised how many strangers you have made happy simply by smiling at them. 

As for this group of mums it was simply poor timing that led to your smile being misinterpreted. You know what some women can be like, especially when they're surrounded by and being egged on by their friends. Unfortunately they may think you are a weirdo and may continue to do so every time they see you, but I don't think you should be even slightly concerned. I highly doubt they will shout at you though. If they do it amounts to verbal abuse and you could get the police involved if you felt so inclined. 

Basically I'm saying try not to worry about what they think and continue being your happy and approachable self. We need more women like you in the world!