Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

sort of off topic, but does anyone have any advice...

Last night our front window was smashed, someone threw a brick into our sitting room. I reported it to the police, and when I called our landlord's number the number had been disconnected. I tried their mobile number and it is no longer in service. I have been getting post for the landlord and one of the children ripped it open and it was a court summons from a debt agency, they owe a lot of money. I've had other mail of similar sorts too, but anyways, is there anyway I can find them, or should I just pay to have the window replaced and hope that they might reimburse me. I checked with our contents insurance and they won't actually cover the window in so far as the deductable payment will be roughly the same price. Any ideas on how to track them down, I've googled their names, searched on facebook, and looked them up in the online directory...

xx

Replies

• do you pay by direct debit??? could you check with bank to see if they can trace them? i think you need to seek legal advice from citizerns advice asap hun, debt collectors can get very unpleasant constant phone calls etc. i can email you a standard letter to keep by the door incase any turn up to do a doorstep visiit. (they aren't legally allowed to without court instruction but some do) if you cannot contact your landlord to report damage i think they may be in breach of tenancy agreement? your estate agent may be able to advise you better but you could possibly deduct it from your rent????????

xxxxxxxx
  • ooh errr, what a palarva,

I agree with the girls, contact your Estate agent if not renting privatly ( if you are renting privatly I would contact a solicitor-first half hour free- just incase there is a problem with his debts and the house you are living in being reposessed)and also bank.

I would also contact the housing department and see what they can do for you if the house is taken..you will be given time to find somewhere but it pays to be aware of any help you could get.

Do not pay for the window, wait and see what happens, afterall if he's in debt I doubt it would be fixed by him anyway! and you wouldnt get your money back either way!

I know how to get hold of their addresses, contact details, it will cost you from ??40-??60 to do a search you go on the electoral register and also the council tax register..not sure how much that costs. A friend of mine was cheated on by her husband and she searched out the other women and found out everything from how old she is to how many kids,names,ages etc and where she lives, phone numbers etc etc etc I couldnt believe what she found out !!!!

Anyway back on track now lol, I hope it all works out hunnie, keep us posted xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • hi, sorry for g/c, but u could also try contacting the private sector housing department at ur locla council, if they come out an inspect that repairs are n,ot being done they can serve a court notice on him, plus then ur already sort of in the books should anything go wrong and need re housing....hth xx
  • I'm not sure I can add anything else that the girls haven't already put but just wanted to say I hope you find them hun!!!! I agree with contacting your council and getting them out to look at the damage. And you could also ask them advice when it comes to housing just incase you are made homeless. At least they can put you on the housing list in the meantime. Good luck hun. Really hope you get this sorted out asap x x x x