Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

is this normal in subsequent pregnancies?

I have finally had my first post booking in midwife appointment. At 24 weeks. I have been waiting patiently hoping to have something prescribed for for my heartburn and also to ask about this pain in my pelvis, and well since I was there I wanted to know why my old operation scar has suddenly gotten really inflamed, and swelled like there is fluid under it. Sorry tmi. But everything I asked she simply said oh you will have to see your gp about that. I haven't heard the babies heart beat this pregnancy and asked if she could do a doppler, and she said have you felt baby move (of course), and so she said it wasn't necessary. I wish I had bought a doppler now, I would like to hear the babies heart beat at least once this pregnancy it's sort of part of the bonding process and wonderful to reassure they are coming along well.

Luckily they don't want to see me until 36 weeks. How odd, I'm going to have like three apointments for the entire pregnancy. Is anyone else having this? I know this is my fourth baby, but I have kidney problems, and I still have questions like everyone else.

In all my other pregnancies the midwife would prescribe gaviscon or give advice. I asked about a home birth and she said questions could be asked with my gp and we can discuss it at my 36 week appointment. Why do we have midwives if the gps are doing everything now.

Oh just a last thought wasn't there bloods or a swab and something like that that needs doing before the pregnancy is done, or is it just booking in bloods? I thought there was more to it, maybe hormones have clouded my memory. lol

xx

Replies

• Options
    Blimmey hunnie, where on earth do you live?
    I have lived pretty much all round the uk but midwifery care is roughly the same, give or take a few appointment dates,
    booking in between 8-11 weeks-bloods, urine, blood pressure.
    12 week scan
    15 week midwife check with bloods( if you want advanced testing) wee sample, heatbeat check , blood pressure etc.
    20-22 week scan
    25 week midwife, more bloods, wee sample, position of baby, heartbeat, mat b1 form.
    27-29 week midwife appointment again as above.
    Then appointments continues roughly every 2-3 weeks from there.

I personally would not only go to your gp asap and tell them exactly whats going on with your kidneys etc but also find out if the midwifery care or lack of you are getting is correct and demand more health care from them. if necessary/ possible ask to move teams/ hospital carestaff etc. after all 3 appointments isnt going to keep a check on your babys health or your for that matter.

I too am on my fourth and if anything I find the midwives more fussing over me due to strain on my body etc ( and I am healthy with no medical problems)
    I hope this helps sweetie, fingers crossed you get the care you deserve xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sorry forgot to add that a homebirth isnt up to your gp but the midwife team and consultants, I have had two homebirths and hope for a third this time, the team all have a meeting to discuss the pro's/con's to that particular women having a home birth and come to a decision that way.( well thats the way the midwife explained it to me lol!)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[Modified by: babs3+bean on October 28, 2009 09:43 AM]

• Options
    hi

I had same care as Babs, and m/w only once told me to see doc as she thought i needed something that she couldnt prescribe but everything else was down to her.

My friend had home birth and the m/w did all the checking etc. you def need to question the care.

I had 12 week bloods, some more at 24 to check iron and full bloods at 28 weeks which i thought were important.

good luck getting better care.

xx