Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Opinion on baby number 3 please.

Hi ladies,

You probably won't know me, my name is Alex and I haven't posted on here for about a year since my second child was born. I have two gorgeous boys aged 3 yrs, and the 2nd is 14 months. My children have made me the happiest i have ever been and therefore i am considering whether to have a third child or not.

We live in a 3 bed house so the two boys could share a room (they have individual rooms at the moment) - how have other people found putting their children in the same room? (especially as both boys often wake up in the night).

How have you found the transition of having 2 then 3 children? I didnt find it too bad going from 1 to 2 children, although it was obviously double the work and hard occupying two children at once. However ive heard that a third child doesnt make much difference? What do you think?

Hubby is really unsure about having a third child as it seems like we have only just started getting some sleep again (the youngest didnt sleep through the night until a year old), but i think the short term lack of sleep is hell, but the kids are so worth it.

I was one of three children growing up, and my sister has three children, so i really dont want to regret it if i dont end up having a big family. My husband is also one of four children - so a big family too.

All of my friends that are mums only have two children, and they think that i am mad considering having a third. Some of them even say that they think i am being very selfish as three kids means that one will get less attention and left out - surely that is rubbish - my kids are my world!

I would really appreciate all your thoughts please ladies on how you have found having three children, and what were the differences that you found between having two and three kids, also financially has it made much difference?

Thank you xx

Replies

• Options
    Well I am pregnant with no'4 so I'd say go for no'3 lol theres no going back after it lol!

Ok so in answer to a few of your questions, My two girls share a room at the mo and their brother has the "box" room. It has never been a problem really, the transition of them sharing just took place before the new baby was born so there wasnt any association with the baby and a change of room etc. It was tough, they faound it exciting at first but now go to bed and there isnt any messing about etc anymore.

I cant really say having a third child makes a huge difference as long as they all get the time they need with you. I dont have the "middle child syndrome" in my house at all, in fact my middle dd is actually more of an equal than my eldest if that makes sense? I find its down to how you include and how much you accept you cant give all of them your undivided attention all the time. my three know they each get the time they need and it works great for me.

For me having three meant just having an extra life/ zest in the family. while they argue sometimes they are undoubtly there for each other all ways and forever. its an amaiziing bond that they have and I am actually quite jealous as I am the "middle" child of three and hate the way I am treated.

So coming from a mum of nearly 4...I would say go for it , not that I am biased or anything lol!!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply. I am also the middle child and i love having both of my sisters and wouldnt change it for the world, its just the way that i have grown up suffering middle child syndrome, so that does worry me a little. I think you are right though, it does depend on how you deal with it as a parent.

Good luck with no. 4. xx
  • Options
    Hi, I'm a mum of three and 32+6 with my fourth. My girls have just started sharing so the baby can go in the nursery, and my son has the box room. At the moment, my youngest daughter is messing about and keeping the other one awake a bit, but its only been a couple of weeks, so I'm sure it'll settle down!!
    I found going from 2 to 3 easier than 1 to 2 to be honest as the other two kept each other amused when I was busy with the baby.
    Time wise, I have the youngest at home with me during the day, and we go to a couple of activities together through the week, and I try to have some quiet time with her at home as well. When the others get home from school, I spend a bit of one to one time with them both, even if its just doing their reading from school or something, and on a weekend, me and hubby try and split our time between the three so they all get some inidividual attention, although sometimes its not possible (that's what kids telly is for!!)
    Financially, I'd say it hasn't made much of a difference on a day to day basis. The only thing I've found is that if you do activities with them it can get expensive. All three of mine have swimming lessons, which can add up, and I've made sure that they've all had the chance to do the same pre school activities, so that has been expensive at times.
    As for your friends, I would say that they probably feel a bit left out, if they're sticking with 2 and you're going for 3. You are certainly not being selfish, as you are obviously a very good mummy, and the fact that you are putting so much thought into this decision shows how much you care.

Go for it, girl!!! Large families rule!!!

XX
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, that all sounds really encrouaging. I'll let you know what happens. x