Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sleeping arrangements

Hi just wondered if you used bunk beds, if lo's prefered to share, n generally how it works as im trying to envisage what will happen if i ever fall again

xxDBxx

Replies

• Hi db, we have our girls in bunk beds and the boys have their own rooms, I did feel a bit mean at first bu they like sharing and from a practical point of view the boys cant really share as there is nearly 11 years between them x
  • Hi, we have bunk beds in the girls room, they are the large pine ones with the chunky ladder.I found the metal ladder hurt DD feet.
    So far we havent had any accidents, youngest DD did try to climb up but she soon realised that once shes up she cant get down so gave up on that one pretty quickly lol!

I have also planned that if ttc is succesfull in the summer we can get bunks for DS bedroom aswell if need be when the time comes. Even if the spare bunk doesnt get used right away its good for storage too!
  • hi. w ehave 2 sets of bunks for our boys although only 3 of them use them at the mo. as archie is in his cot still. they get on really well with them, and they are space saving. we have 4 boys in the large bed room and rosie has her own girly pink room. . we are looking at moving soon as we need another bedroom really. xxx
  • We havnt got bunk beds just yet as I think Charlotte is too young to have them in their bedroom. At the mo she is in toddler bed and Molly in a single. I will get bunk beds at somepoint because I think they are great space savers! Ive just got visions of her climbing on the top bunk and falling!! What do you girls think, she is 2 in a couple of weeks and Molly is 4 nxt Thursday! Are they too young? x x x
  • Hi, thanks for your replies

Babs, what wld you do if no 4 was a girl? For us it wld be easier if i had 4 boys but you know how i feel about having a girl.

Sarah, I agree re bunk beds my mum has just bought some (mid sleepers so not too high) but i dont feel they are ready for it yet, my friends little boy went into a cabin bet at 2.5 years, ive been thinking of getting them cabins as not sure with the eldest being twins how i sort out who has top bunk.

How long wld you let a boy and girl share for? we knocked down a divinding wall before we had kids to make one big bedroom but wld have to put it back up if we have a girl, but we are saving for an extension so wondered what ppl thought of g/b sharing. (obv this is all conjecture as not even pg but hope to have a 16 month ish age gap)

xxDBxx
  • db We have this same dilema, re if we had a boy we would either have to let Livs and the baby share or out Livs in with the older two girls and he has his own room. If we had another girl then its easyimage I dont think if you had a girl it would be a prob coz they will be so close in age! My brother and I shared a room til I was 6 and he was 4! This was out of choice too as we always lived in a 4 bed house when growing up. We just loved each others company and are still really close now. I wouldnt have a prob putting two young children of a different sex in together. I think it only matters once they get older and need their own space x x x
  • Hey DB, to be honest we would probably have to move it no'4 was a girl but we rent so that wouldnt be so bad. I do hope it will be a boy though as if not I think no'5 might be in order lol!!!(and no'6 to even it out and no'7 if need be he he he!!!!)
    DD and Ds did share a room untill ds was 5 and dd was 3, Im not sure of the recommended age that they arnt allowed to share. tbh though I dont see a problem with same sex sharing, they are siblings afterall and the only reason they were seperated was because dd no'2 was born.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Good question. My little 3 will share a room 2boys 1 girl (if the scan is right) so i was thinking of getting one of the bunk beds with a double at the bottom? But it does worry me one of them falling off they will be 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 when we get the bunks then the baby will go in when he comes out of his cot. How old are yours that are in bunk beds ? and has any one ever fallen?
  • All my three started off having their own rooms. We bought the older two their own beds and my dd3 is still in a cot. However every morning I would wake up to find the older to asleep on the floor together next to the baby's cot. So I bought bunk beds and put all three in the same room, and still most mornings I find all three asleep in the cot together. They love to sleep together and they make some really cute pictures. Oh and my girls were two and four when they went into bunk beds.

xx
  • Currently, our girls (7&8) share a room and our older 2 boys (4&2) also share. Nathan (13wks) is still in our room but will be going into a room by himself soon. This will prob only b for about 1 yr thou as the girls are getting to that age where they want their own space and in about a yr Alex will be ready for a proper bed so we'll get bunk beds for him & Luke and put Nathan in with them so the girls can have a room each.

Mind you, as with all forward planning & kids things never usually work out the way you think LOL so who knows hehehe