Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

pregnant and being scrutinized by other children?

Does anyone else have older children telling them off for doing just about anything? Mummy why are you eating it's not lunch time yet? Mummy you are getting fat, Mummy stop swinging your legs (I do this to stop them going numb on hard chairs), Mummy you walk too slow, Mummy stop making those noises (me groaning as I struggle to get up off the floor) they make me grumpy. And on and on. It's silly I feel like I'm in school being critiqued on everything I do. It was so much easier when she was small because she didn't question and more bothersome have an opinion on everything I do. I feel lame constantly saying it's because I am pregnant. It is the truth of it, but I also don't want to cause any animosity between her and the babe or give her a negative view of pregnancy. But with my hormones sometimes it's hard not to snap at her, just let me be. I've tried having a little chat with her that sometimes other people are just trying to do their best and please have a bit of patience, but now she's recruited my 3 year old and it's non stop. At the same time I'm just hormonal enough to really be saddened that I drive my children so crazy without even trying.

Perhaps it's age related phase, but it's driving me nuts.

xx

Replies

• Yep definatly,
    I always feel sneaky eating when they are not, even though they have just scoffed fruit or sweets but I havent got round to eating mine yet!
    If I need a much needed sit down its like I get made to feel rather lazy , they always say "when you've had a rest can we do...?" or "how long are you going to have a sit down for?"
    Its not like I sit down much as it is, theres always something for me to be doing not including the mountain of puzzels, books and times tables I practise with them everyday!!
    It def just kids, and their age, my dd1 is the worst for comments like that..she is 6yrs old going on 30!!
    They shouldnt BUT god do they make you feel guilty?!!

I have said to my dd1 "its rude to make people feel bad, and for you to make comments like that when you have all my time, clean clothes , nice food etc you shouldnt be saying things like that.
    Mummys need a bit of time to themselves just as children like to go play on their own.
    Thankyou for keep checking on me BUT lets have a special mummy time too just like we have your time"

Not sure if that will help but its what I say to my children and it seems to work, it stops me snapping at them too, its like my mantra at the moment lol!!!(I just remind them each time I get "a comment or three")

Lets make a pact here hun,
    "We shall not feel guilty when we need a rest and need a little something to eat. Our children will not starve if they dont have a bite and will not die from lonelynesss if I rest on the sofa while they are playing"......sound good lol???!!!:lol:
  • Your kids have a good mum I went off my face at my daughter for always going on when I ate. It must be a cultural difference between Aus and the UK because I am pretty sure I know how most mum's here would respond to being bossed about and it wouldn't end happily for the child lol.

You tell your kids to appreciate how kind you have been about this because most mum's wouldn't and as far as noises go or eating you will do what you like in your house and when they get a job and their own house they can then do as they please and when you come to their house you will do as they say.

Why are you worried about annoying them they are kids the most annoying species on the Earth lol. I always say my two are lucky they are cute sometimes or they wouldn't have survived this long.
  • Libranaster,
    My kids do not boss me around and they do get put in their place for saying things that are down right unnapropriate. We were simply just saying "how" they make us feel on the occasions when they do comment. Believe me, I deal with it in the right way for them...not going off the deep end and ranting away! Seems that side of dissapline doesnt work but the fact they need to learn and be explained to the way things go is the right way for my three.

Personally for me, its just the way it makes me feel, not that they ever go without etc,
    I also remember my mother giving me a hard time with a slap or three for asking for a bit of her yogurt....seems that its just something that some mums feel with their kids and others dont.
  • I didn't mean it badly babs3 I was just saying you cope with it better than I do. I hope I didn't upset you. You do a good job I can understand giving kids most of the saem treats I have the problem was just for once I wanted something that was mine and lets just say I inappropriately blew up at my daughter for it. I suppose I see it as being bossy as where you do not. I think most girls try the bossy thing on its a girl thing. I appologised to my little girl for blowing up at her later I felt really bad I was just so frustrated with my every move being watched so they could pounce and steal my food. Unlike your kids mine forget completely that I need to eat too and take all my food. I wish my two would listen when I explain things to them but mostly it takes me to do something big and dramatic for them to listen so as I said it was a comment about how you are doing better than I and I just felt you might have taken it the wrong way and I would hate that.