Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

tips

please for leaving the house to do the school run with a 6yr old 5yr old 2yr old walking and 11 day old LOL ive got all lunch boxes etc ready im just panicking about leaving the house with all 4!!!!

Replies

• Ok, I have a 8, 6 and nearly 4 yr old and am 29weeks with no'4. I have to walk as I dont drive its a mile each way whatever the weather!
    so my tips are these

1/ as you have already done, do as much, if not all of your lunch boxes/snacks/drink bottles the night before.

2/ make sure the kids "luggage" is in the same place, packed and ready to go, letters signed,book bags ready, money ready, toys etc the night before...it takes about 5 mins in the evening but saves twenty in the morning!

3/ before bath/shower time the night before get them to get out clean uniform/clothes etc so that its just a matter of getting washed and dressed in the morning. This also helps with my 4 yr old who I have a constant battle with on a non nursery day about what she wants to wear.

4/ never leave reading/books/homework until the morning always do it the same night they get it, I allocate 4pm every night before tea for my three to do the neccessary reading/bookmarks etc, no pressure that way and they are willing!!!!

5/ If you can load up the pushchair/buggy with extras the night before i.e hats gloves etc in a little bag that lives on the pushchair that way you dont have to hunt around in the morning. Also make sure you have a snack/drink packed and on the pushchair ready so thats another thing you dont have to worry about.(hungry little ones isnt fun is it?!)

6/ again the night before make sure the school shoes are paired, polished and ready to go in the hall/by the door ( the kids can help here!) saves alot of strops cos they can only find one shoe!

7/ allocate the older ones jobs in the morning that will help give you 5 mins , so either empty washing machine, washing up, wipe breakfast table etc, they might only do a ok job BUT it saves you time and makes the kids feel like they are really helping you.

8/ when you leave the house make sure everyone knows where they need to walk/be. My dd1 and ds walk either side of the buggy where possible but if not then they walk single file on the inside of the path just in front of the buggy, dd2 is in the buggy when the roads busy but walks holding a wrist strap(godsend) any other time, in practise for baby no'4 in Feb! I made it part of my routine so now they know and I dont have to nag them to "move over" or "walk nicely" or "mind the road"

I know I keep suggesting "do it the night before" but it works well for me and I rarley rush like a mad women! and while it seems like alot when you are shattered in the evening, it actually seems to take 5 mins to get it all sorted and a lot of piece of mind that its done ready.

Goodluck, hope this helps xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • I wish i were that organised i try to do things the night before but the shoe's are always the thing i forget. And always end up with me or the kids empty the whole shoe cupboard out (which i have to come home to). I'm 21 weeks with my 4th ( we have 11, 8 and 5years old ) and i am a little worried about getting out the door on time when baby comes along.
    Vicki 21+5
  • awww splash, it will all fall into place hunnie ( well at least thats what I tell myself!lol)

I am a list maker as well as a routine freak, otherwise I would forget my head lol
    If I do have a busy day the next day I write out a list from the time I get up till the busy-ness is over just so I am not faffing around wondering what/if there was anything I should have done or needed to give the children(like socks and breakfast lol!!!!)

Dont forget too that babies, while yes they need a feed etc and this might take longer sometimes than others, babies fall into a good routine pretty early on if you establish the routine from the off. So in theory, having an extra little one needent be too much more stress really! ( god that sounds good, wonder if it will really be like that this time round lol lol!)

I am sure though that once this sprout is born I will be here moaning and worring about not having the time or ranting that I didnt get a shower or havent washed my hair for two days lol!!(you may slap me then if it happens lol!!) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • While my post sounds like I do everything for my children lol, I actually agree with dogstar, My three are so very helpful and know that they need to keep their bookbags together, collect their "luggage" for school etc and get themsleves ready. All of them actually can do everything for themselves inc my nearly 4yr old.
    I just make sure all the nitty gritty bits are done in the evening so that there is a little more time for them and me to get ready in the morning.

The other day I was trying to zipper up dd2(4yr olds) coat, she was jumping around like a kangaroo, next thing she says is "mummy I can do it myself" so I think "god here we go, half hour late to school or something by the time she does it!" and do you know to my utter shock, zzziiiiiiipppppppp went the coat and it was done lol!!!
    Just goes to show how bloomin indipendant my three can be if I let them lol!!!!!
  • thanks for all the replies i did read them all just haven had chance to reply.

well i took advice got everything ready i had forgotten about shoes lol it went really well and my 2 yr old walked well to and from school even though raining. i dont drive eother so i next challenge is to go to the shops which is a 10 min walk away!!!

i def think routine and organisation is the key x:image
  • Blimey, after reading this I've just laughed out loud!! No wonder I'm always running round in the morning like a headless chicken!!!
    Babs you sound like a supermummy!! I will definately be putting some of these tips into practice, I've got so disorganised recently. Great post ajmum4!! x
  • mornings and after school are so busy now with 4 after school is a nightmare the older come ome and have snack drink get changed then both have to do reading books and spellings and once a week maths homework and now eldest has a big part in school play so practice lines. all this while feeding baby and toddler running round being horrid henry lol

we dont eat til 545pm as i cant actually fit it in!!!
  • babs again!
    just a thought about having a late dinner.......After dd1, I started cooking large batches of bolognese, chilli, caserole etc and freezing it for those busy days where I just dont have time.
    That way its just a matter of boiling pasta/rice water etc and reheating the main bit out of freezer..dont know if that helps any!

Oooh also I freeze pitta breads, buns and dumplings.....so much easier than worring about going shopping!! ( we do a big shop once a month and then just buy fresh veg and milk once a week!

Or like today I have made hubby a chilli and kids a bolognese for tea tonight, bubbling away on the cooker so all that needs is the heating up and accompaniments to go with. I have had a reasonably quiet day so have had the time to get it cooked..leftovers will go in the freezer!!!

Well thats it I think lol! hope it helps!!!!