Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sunflowers

Hi girls,

I just wondered how many of us grow things with our little ones and imparticularly sunflowers. I helped my two plant there seeds on Saturday, they love having a growing competition and they enjoy looking after there plants too. It gives them a bit of responsibility.

I haven't got a baby bump to photograph so I'll post regular photo's of my childrens sunflowers instead!!!!!!

Replies

• Options
    I have sunflower seeds to plant this year - should I do them now? darn will better go and look.

We could do a online sun flower competition - (don't worry I always kill plants)

Can't wait to see the pics Zoe - will speak to Sam and we can hopefully compare

p.s we have a veg garden aswell which we hope we can do with kiddie winkles
  • Options
    I usually do sunflowers too, last year i didn't bother. Might plant a few this year.

I grow a few veggies too Sarah, in tubs though as the garden is really dry and the soil rock hard!!!
  • Options
    Ethans just getting into growing plants now and we love doing it with him although we recently grew mustard and cress which Gillan somehow managed to kill!!! He got a grow your own venus fly trap for his birthday which was a cool present!!

I hadn't thought of growing a sunflower with him but i think he'd love that!! I think a pp sunflower comp would be fab!!!!
  • Options
    thats a great idea, with izzy only being 2 i didn't really think of doing that last year but i bet she'd really enjoy growing her own sun flower! thanks for the idea!
  • Options
    Caroline - what veggies do you grow?

Last year was our first year of growing veggies - we grew Runner Beans, leeks, Courgettes, Lettuce and beetroot

Sam is thinking about making our veggie patch bigger so that we can grow more things - but we're see - he wants to move at some point aswell - oh er
  • Options
    Kirsty, Jack loves it, he was 2 when we started doing them so I'm sure Izzy will love it too.
  • Options
    I didn't do anything last year. The year before i grew peppers (not very sucessful as they took months to go red), courgettes - i got loads off 3 plants, mixed salad and tomatoes. I don't like homegrown toms so god knows why i grew them! I want to do beetroot and salad this year.

I guess we'll see what i can be bothered to do! I eat loads of courgettes so am definitely doing those again!
  • Options
    Beetroot is a great one so I hope you like it!! We were having roast beetroot, beetroot salad pickled beetroot, for months!!
  • Options
    I havent got a garden only a balcony but if i put a few plants on it there would be no space left.roll on moving.
  • Options
    I love roast beetroot Zoe. I put raw beetroot, garlic cloves, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper in a foil parcel and bake them for about an hour!! yum yum yum
  • Options
    Caroline, that sounds amazing!

Last year I grew potatoes, spring onions, peas, leeks, carrots and mixed lettuce leaves. They were all successful. I also grew dwarf beans, tomatoes and sweetcorn but had no luck with them.

I'm going to try some beetroot. When do you plant it? Maybe I've missed the boat? I'll definitely grow the mixed salad leaves again too. They were wonderful and it was lovely going out each morning to pick them for our sarnies!

I've got my sweetpeas going too. I had a bumber crop last year and love cutting them for around the house.

I normally grow everything from seed but as I've been out of action for the last few weeks I might have to opt for buying plants.

Anyway, as for sunflowers, that's a great idea. My Mum and I always grew them when I was little and I loved them. I might get some going this year to keep up with you all.

XXX
  • Options
    Sally, it is truly delicious! I always make enough for 2 meals and end up eating it in 1 go!!!! Its fab with crusty bread to dip in the juice......oooh my mouth is watering!!!

I usually buy fresh organic beetroot, i have never grown it myself! This year will be a first for me!!!