Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Book recommendations please

Hello ladies,
I know there has been a thread in the past but its going to take me ages and ages until I find it!

My daughter is 21months and if somebody sits with her she can do flap books. She loves the dk peekaboo books, they are board books with sturdy page flaps. She wont sit still enough for a story so I ahvent really brought her any paper page story books like grufallo. I have the board gruffalo book out of the library at present, but you get to the 2nd page and she is off doing something else!

She likes to sit and look at books by herself, so we are slowly progressing!

What do/did your los like around the same age? Im aware they all develop at different stages, but I would love to hear what your los favourties are/were. I want to buy her the dk peelaboo colours online, but I want to buy a few more books so Ig et free delivery! I have already renewed it from the library once so thought I should really go and buy her it! I do like books that have more than one purpose.

Thanks.

Replies

• Options
    Peter's a lot younger than your lo (a year in just over a week) but we have a lot of books (my husband and are both academics, so somewhat inevitable, really!) and I totally sympathise with the wandering off syndrome! Have you tried poetry? There is a new version of Elliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats with illustrations by Alex Schaeffler (who did the illustrations for The Gruffalo). The poems are a bit shorter than a full story, so you might get her to sit still for one at a time. Also Where the Wild Things Are is short but beautifully illustrated. Peter tends to wave his arms about when we turn over to the wild rumpus pages! Neither are multi-purpose, but both are absolute classics and will probably last you for years and years.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    You Choose,Emergency!,How High Is The Sky,The Flying Diggers.These books were and still are Pepis favourites.She also could not sit through Gruffalo ,but that book is recommended for ages 3 and up anyway.T he first story book she sat through was How High Is The Sky,it truly is a lovely book.Now that she is 25 months she sudenly rediscovered the Thats Not My...books,she will put them next to each other and read them aloud,it is so funny to listen to.Personaly I would never buy anywhwrte else but on Amazon,u get everything u can think of and at amazing prices,easily half price or less,and free delivery.The only book they dont seem to have was Emergency! and we had to buy it from Borders,we also go there often so Pepi gets used to pleasure of finding and choosing her own books.Iam just so sorry we cant just go home aftrewards and order it of amazon!!!!!!!!!!! but have to fork out the full price in the shop...but she is so happy it does not matter...as we live in London I would not go to library or buy secondhand...otherwise nothing would stop me lol
  • Options
    J is 18 months and loves his books he has tons, my face are the picture dictionarys, he doesn't talk a lot so we sit and go through it to encourage him to say the words and even though he can't it reassures me that he understands as he points everything out, my other faves are some from debenhams where you pull out the page and it changes colour (bit more sturdy than flap books) and also the calm down borris books, they have a hand puppet so a good way to get lo's to read when they aren't too interested. Good thread Im interested to hear other book reccomendations too x
  • Options
    Cally is 16 months and loves her books. Many of her board books are falling apart they have been so well read. Favourite board book is a one about a horse as she loves the clippety cloppity bits, and also the That's not my.. books. She is not always careful with paper books so we always look at those ones with her, we have a huge collection that were her big brother's and sister's (now in their 20s) and I have added to these over the years as I am an early years teacher. Her fav paper book is 'Peace at Last' - the record for reading it is currently 6 times in a row - and that was me who gave up! She also likes 'Ever so, ever so', 'Where's my teddy?', 'Five minutes peace', 'Winnie the Witch', 'Some dogs do', 'We're going on a Bear Hunt', ... and many many more. Although I do sometimes have to hide 'Peace at Last' to get her to look at other books!
  • Options
    My Son is 16mths and enjoys reading at bath and bedtime, and has lots of the 'That's not my..' books and loved them, til... he discovered lift the flap books.. now he loves the lift the flap 'spot the dog' stories, and Maisy too. We're off to hunt for some more lift the flap books too as they seem to keep his attention much longer.

While I was last looking on amazon for these, i came across 'Aliens love underpants' cheaply and have to say while it's a plain board book, we love it!

We have bought him lots of 2nd hand books from the local charity shop at 15p each, some paper but at that price who cares if he destroys the odd few!
  • Options
    Lo has always absolutely loved stories and books, so we have loads of them. He has just turned 2, and he likes the same things now as he did at your lo's age. He isn't as interested in hi touchy feely books so much now, and doesn't go so often for the "This is my .... " or "That's not my ..." series either. I only buy board books as then he can be left alone with them and I know they won't be ruined. Favourites are:

The tiger who came to tea
    Hairy Mclary from donaldon's dairy (there are loads in this series)
    Slinky Malinki
    Any of the Spot the dog series (with flaps)
    Any of the Maisy series (with flaps)
    Rosie's walk
    Giraffes can't dance
    Peepo
    Each peach pear plum
    Any of the huge board books in M&S that have buttons which make noises (they have Incy wincy spider, old mcdonald had a farm, wheels on the bus etc at the moment for $5 each)
    Aliens love underpants
    We're going on a bear hunt
    Fix it duck and Duck on the truck
    Where's my teddy
    Calm down Boris
    Room on the broom

There are loads more. I love that lo gets so much enjoyment from his books as DH and I both love books and hopefully it will help with his learning and vocabulary later on. If you want more suggestions, just let me know as we have way too many books! I am starting to go towards books that have proper stories now, so books like Topsy and Tim, and some of the more basic ladybird stories like The Enormous Turnip. But there is always a place for flap and noisy books in our house!
  • Options
    Tahnks ladies for the suggestons.

Im an Usborne organiser so I ahve a large selection of the Usborne books. Her car book is the very first words home book, keeps her happy. She loves the farm lift the flap and animal hide and seek too. I have to supervise her, otherwise she pulls the off (the library ones!)

Thanks for the list of books, half of them I havent heard of before so I will go and look them up online! I love the quality of Usborne books, buts its also nice to have a variety too. Some of the books we have taped the spines!

thanks Rhian, I will go and have a look at m+s books online. I must get her some more noisy books, her Usborne animal one is well loved!
  • Options

Looks like an old thread but books are timeless. I have 3 kids (7,6 and 1.5 years) so went through all my books from the older two to read to my littlest. My favorites are: Where is the Green Sheep by Mem Fox,

The Going to Bed Book by Sandra Boynton,

I Like Books by Anthony Browne.

I came across a good toddler booklist at:

http://bookkids.net/books-for-toddlers/4575414355