Forum home General Chat General chat

Summer Driving Holiday

Hi all

I'm looking for insipiration. We have decided to drive down to Alicante (Nanny and Gramps Villa) for our summer jollys in September and need some ideas on where to stop off 'en route' through France.

If anyone has visited any special places basically between Paris and Argeles (Spanish Border), I would like to hear about them. We can visit places on the way there and on the way back.

I have no fondness for France, Spain is has my favour, but given that we are driving through, and with nearly 12 month old twins and 22 month old toddler, breakes may as well be in nice places.

If it were my choice I would just drive through stopping as little as possible, but there you go.

Thanks
Sally

Replies

• Hi Sally how long is the drive? We drove to germany last year with Tate then 22 months and Luka then 3months. We went through France, Holland, Belgium and Germany was about 8/9hr drive. We only stopped once properly though as wanted to get there. It is much easier driving than flying with the little ones. I hated stopping in France, Terry can speak French as he used to live there, but I found it the most unhelpful place with little ones, no one would heat a bottle and toilets were filthy. Hopefully I just had a bad experience. The other countries we stopped in were immaculate. we are going again in July so it didn't put us off!
  • Oh what a cool idea for a holiday. I hope you all enjoy it will be great. I have only ever been to france once when i was little, we went to Agen. So i am afraid i cant really help with where to stop. But i hope you have a great time. xx
  • There is a total of 21 hours of driving. Hoping to get an early evening ferry crossing so we can beat down the miles through the night. Once we get onto the motorways I;ll be driving through the night. Mick will be doing the majority of driving.

I've looked at some of the eurocamp sites, didnt know that they do mobiles now, not just tents. But 3 nights is £225 so its a bit pricey, and it depends what car we have to go down in. We're hoping this new job of Micks alows us to get a replacement car for me, a grand voyager, and one for Mick. If we cant have one of those then its down in the Laguna (100% less space). So we'll see.
  • will your parents/inlaws be able to get things in for you so you don't have to take so much?? Travel cots/highchairs nappies etc? Thats what we are doing this time, we are staying with Terry's family and they are borrowing a travel cot and highchair for us, and also a pushchair and she will buy my nappies. Don't need a steriliser this time and as luka will be over one no formula either so we may be a bit lighter on the packing...a bit!!!
  • Yeah thats what we are doing. We are gonna take a small single buggy as Milly wont be ready for walking all the time, and ask them toget a small twin buggy from someone there. I'm thinking about bed guards rather than 3 cots. They have a 3 bed villa, but one of the bedrooms is on the roof. So either inlaws will have to decamp to there or we'll stay up there. That leaves a room with twin beds in. If I put bed guards on them and the cot in the middle that should be ok. I'll put Nina in the cot as she smaller than Jack. They turn 12 months at the end of september so I'm gonna start them early on cows milk, a few weeks early cant harm them. Dunno about the high chair thing, asking for 3 is a bit much. I'll take the folding booster seat that i have and think about getting a second, but then there will be no where for us to sit. They only have 4 chairs for their dining table. Needless to say its gonna be a test of my coping abilities... both with the kids and his parents.
  • oh Sally I really feel for you. They should know that if you are coming with 3 babies they are going to have to get geared up. Those fabric little seats they sit in strapped to the chair are quite good, but I think the twins may be too big by then? Tate had one at 8months when we went to greece. I think they will be fine in the beds with the bed guards, good idea. I think the cows milk will be fine too Sally. How long are you going for? we made the mistake of going to center parcs with no buggy for Tate and he had to be carried everywhere as he wasnt' well he's still too little at 2andhalf to walk far!! That or he's lazy!!
  • We are going to Poland next week, 22 hours driving time and stopping in Germany overnight and probably again in west Poland as it's too far for 1 hit with both of us driving. We haven't driven it before but flew 2 years ago when bella was 13 months. Even though she was old enough for cows milk, we took a box of formula for those times when keeping fresh milk cool was tricky. When we are there we usually buy UHT as it's nicer (yes that may sound strange but milk in a bag can be a bit ropey), we used the formula for outings in the car when we were having other drinks and not milk. It worked well so were going to do that again this time.

We are only taking a single buggy for our 15 month old, our 3 year old will have to walk if we stop on the way and maybe we'll borrow another single when we get there. She's still too little/lazy to walk very far, especially if she's tired. We're relying on in car DVD to entertain them while we drive and might well do something active in the morning then drive from late morning/lunch to late evening.