Forum home Family life & relationships Health & fitness

BAD TIME OF MONTH

Hi. I get extremely moody, emotional and unbareable when I'm due to come on. Now a lot of people may suffer with this but for some reason I cry at anything. A small issue will be made into something huge. I start seeing everything in my life as a problem, then I think soo many things are wrong, then I get upset. Its just all over the place. I'm sulky, moody, and I have no patience for anything or anyone. I've always been like this but before I had my lo I used to very bad cramps so bad I couldn't breathe. I was on medication for it but since the birth of my lo they are no where near as bad. Anyway I have no way of calming down or relaxing. My oh does well to say don't worry I'll sort out anything thats bothering you, but that comes after a huge explosive row in front of lo and me getting hysterical. I used to smoke to relax but since getting pregnant I've not smoked so its been about a year and half I've been smoke free. Since being a non smoker I don't know how to calm down without going crazy??! I don't want any medication for it, its just hormones. But there must be a way around it. Time alone for a rest makes me feel worse? :evil: Help me please. At times I think I could destroy my family!! :cry:

Replies

• Hey babe,
    I cant really suggest anything other than
    1. going to chat to your gp or

2. going to Holland and Barrett and talking to they lovely people their and see if they can suggest a natural remedy (thats the option I would go for)

3. Maybe talk to a friend/member of your family so they can help calm you down when you do get like it?

I used to be the same untill I had my children and its practically stopped now(3 children later lol!!). I threw things, started arguments but luckily my Hubby just left me to it lol!!

I dont know if this helps but I do understand xxxxxxxxx
  • Hi,

I'm exactly the same but I lash out... I haven't had an AF since my little one's been born but scared of what she'll see. I had ante-natal depression and was referred to a counselor who I still see. She's going to be referring me to a CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) programme which should change my way of thinking etc. In the meantime I've bought St John's Wart capsules - I haven't tried them yet - or I used to take Kalms. But, if you're like me, you don't realise you've got PMS until after an argument and things have calmed down and you have a chance to reflect... or even a week later when your AF arrives! Biut believe me you're not the only one.
  • Thanks for replying. I forgot all about holland and barretts. I might try there. I'm worried what my gp will tell me if I bring this up!?
  • Oh babe dont worry about the gp, if your not keen on the one you see you can always ask to see someone else. These days they prefere not to give medication unless you are about to murder someone! But maybe a chat is in order and they might suprise you and offer some other advice.
    Goodluck though babe, thinking of you xxxxxx
  • Thanks babs3, I hope your right! x image
  • Buy some Bach rescue remedy spray, you just spray a couple of shots into your mouth & it really does calm you down. I'm a very aggressive person when pmsing, i don't get weepy but i do get terrible rages so know how you feel.

Also learn some breathing techniques, they do work, you just have to learn how to catch the episode before it starts (start monitoring your menstral cycle & pre-empt your episodes by keeping a check on key dates) & then do the breathing & have a couple of shots of rescue remedy & learn how to control it.

Another thing to look at is caffeine, wheat & dairy consumption. All of these can be triggers for the symptoms you describe. Something as simple as switching to Soya milk instead of cows might make all the difference & caffeine is one of the worst stimulator of advert hormones, so switch to defcaf or try to cut out coffee & too much tea all together during the bad times.

[Modified by: Beebee on February 10, 2009 07:45 PM]

• Hey beebee, you know, the decaf coffee thing might well have helped me calm down a bit, I stopped drinking regular coffee around the time I had my first baby so maybe that helped.....i never realised that it could have an effect.
    Where can I get some of that bach rescue remedy spray? Im not too bad at the moment but have started feeling a bit moody every now and again so I may give it a try.
    xxxxxxxxxxx
  • I got mine at boots, it's in their alternative therapy section.

Caffeine is a poison really and for some people it can have really bad side effects, one friend of mine cut out all caffeine from her diet & she stopped getting the killer migraines she used to get the week before her period & she then cut out bread & switched to soya based food, so soya yogurts, soya spread, tofu instead of cows milk products & her pms bloating & terrible rages went away. She swears that changing certain foods at certain times of the month has amazing results.

I don't know that much about it tbh but it does make sense really. I gave up eating bread about 3 years ago & after the initial withdrawal period I felt I had loads more energy, felt less bloated & lethargic. I had a relapse about a year ago & ate a load of white bread & within a couple of days I broke out in loads of spots, put on weight & felt like crap.
  • Hi. I really don't think its a food/drink thing. I don't drink tea or coffee, my tummy won't tolerate white bread. I have brown bread, no fizzy drinks or anything. Its been like this for years and my diet changed in 2007 from what my mum used to feed us to what I wanted to eat and its still the same.
  • hey yummy mummy,
    I hope you find something that works for you babe. As I said maybe a trip to the docs is in order for you, even if its just for a m.o.t.
    You never know it may be something really symple that sets you off but you just havent realised it yet, or maybe just a little extra help and support through your gp might be just what you need.
    Im here most days if you want a rant hun, so feel free to post and I will find it lol!!!
    Goodluck though babe xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx