Forum home Family life & relationships Health & fitness
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Hypothyroidism: TTC & Pregnancy

Hi All!

Earlier in the year I was diagnosed with an under-active thyroid. Now, this has not been an issue and my first blood test results show that my levels were back to normal(I had a high TSH count and a low thyroxine count too). I am due my second blood tests fairly soon and will be seeing my doctor.

Has anyone been in this position? I mean with regards to having or knowing someone who has this condition who is ttc?/pregnant? If so, can someone let me know what the experience is like? Is there a lot of ante-natal care during pregnancy? Is it really difficult etc...? :?

TBH, we weren't planning on ttc till next August but DH had asked if we could start in the new year and I agreed and got the folic acid and all that ready ... and have suddenly realised about my thyroid! I*'ve just got so used to it I'd forgotten all about it! :roll:

I'm just worried now and feel quite isolated as I cant really talk to family about it cos the plans for ttc are secret atm...

Thanks to anyone who managed to read through that and even more thanks for those who replies!

CakeFairy x

Replies

• Options
    hi there. just wanted to offer my story. i was diagnosed with an under active thyroid just after giving birth to my son in 2006.ive been taking thyroxine ever since.i have then gone on to have another son in 2010 and am currently pregnant with our third son(due in november!) you do get extra blood tests and appointments with an endocrine consultant to monitor your levels. in my pregnancies i have had to increase my thyroxine doses gradually untill it has leveled out but this is considered normal.apart from these doseage changes nothing else has been affected.ive had a normal pregnancy and delivery with my second son and am not experiencing anything out of the blue with this pregnancy.i've not experienced any difficulties with getting pregnant either, in fact it has happened quite quickly on all occassions! hope this has helped and put your mind at ease a bit.if you would like any other advice or just to chat feel free to message me and i'll try to help if i can.x image
  • Options
    Thank you so much for replying! I was beginning to think I was alone out there!

Good to hear that you've had successful pregnancies, deliveries and births!

I'm seeing my doctor soon anyway so hopefully I can ask all my silly questions and have them answered!

Just one question... Why might I need to see an endocrine consultant?

Thanks again!
  • Options
    The endocrine consultant does regular blood tests just to keep an eye in your levels and make any increases in your thyroxine meds (if needed) while pregnant.

Hopefully your ttc journey is short and you get your BFP very soon, I'll be looking out for your good news! If theres anything else I can help with just let me know. Good luck.x image
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!

When I was told initially, the Dr told me that my TSH was in the 30s! But I've just had my second blood test (results on Friday) but they were fine three months ago!

I started taking multi vitamins and folic acid but the nurse told me to stop and wait top see my doctor! I seem to understand that my need for thyroxine and folic acid will increase once I am pregnant, but I want to start the folic acid as early as possible! Can I take that just now? Or am I Best to wait to see my doctor?

Thanks ladies! image
  • Options
    i dont see the harm in taking the folic acid from now,(i started to take folic acid before seeing my doctor about ttc)some of the vitamins might interfere with the absorbing of thyroxine/blood results, so probably best to leave the vitamins untill you see the doctor.x
  • Options
    i dont see the harm in taking the folic acid from now,(i started to take folic acid before seeing my doctor about ttc)some of the vitamins might interfere with the absorbing of thyroxine/blood results, so probably best to leave the vitamins untill you see the doctor.x

Awsome, Thanks!! image