Forum home Family life & relationships Health & fitness

Body Blues

Hi, I gave birth to my daughter 9 weeks ago ( I know it's early days yet ) but I feel terrible about the way I look. My belly has now got this rather large roll of fat which wasn't there before and Im covered in stretch marks on my boobs, tummy, thighs, waist and even the backs of my knees! I cant find the motivation to start excercising and dont really feel like I have the time at the minute! Feeling really really miserable about it all and concerned my partner wont find me attractive anymore ( he hasnt seen me naked since eeearly pregnancy). I know the answer is get off my ass and do some excercise and I will when I feel up to it but the big red and purple stretch marks are hideous and I feel like im starting to hate myself.

Replies

• Hi Olivia,

Pregnancy does change our appearance & it can leave many women feeling frustrated/down about themselves.  Having breastfed my youngest for over a year my chest is now flatter than it was pre-pregnancy (I haven't looked like this since high school) & I feel a little awkward knowing this.

Generally there are simple things you can do to help you feel slightly better about yourself.  If you have a babysling, wear it with baby inside huddled close to you whilst you hoover the home, wear it into town instead of using your pushchair & you'll slowly notice your stomach muscles toning (consider baby your free set of weights) whilst also getting some bonding.

Stretch marks you treat much the same as during pregnancy, a little cocoa butter rubbed in will help smooth those marks & turn them a silvery grey.  In the meantime remind yourself those marks are a map of how your LO came to be, each one a path from tiny little egg to precious bouncing baby. 

As for your partner, they can feel that we're going off them too if we let ourselves get too selfconcious so talk to him about how you feel, let him reassure you it isn't so & enjoy every moment you get with each other (they will be fewer with LO about).  Best wishes.