Forum home Family life & relationships Health & fitness
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Losing the baby weight

Hey, I'm just looking for some support and advice on post-partum weight loss. A little about me... I'm 29 and before my pregnancy was very active and in the best shape of my life. I'm 5'8 and was 135-140lbs pre-pregnancy. During my pregnancy I gain 52lbs (excessive I know) however I remained as active as possible (going for walks every day) and didn't eat poorly, though I did give in to cravings perhaps more then I should have. It's been 6 weeks since I had my little girl and I don't fit in to any of my old clothes. I have to wear my maternity clothes still. I've lost 26lbs since her birth which means I still have 26lbs to go. Im a little depressed at my size as I've never been this big before. I haven't had my 6 week check up yet because my Dr is on vacation. Any tips on how you lost your baby weight would be appreciated. I'm breastfeeding so "dieting" isn't an option, though I try to eat healthy. Any advice would be very appreciated

Replies

• Breastfeeding and eating sensibly without it being a diet helped me lose mine! My health visitor reminded me quite early on that it takes your body 9 months to get that way don't be surprised if it takes 9 months to get back to pre pregnancy. It was a comforting way to look at it. 6 weeks is still so soon after having a baby. All these celebs that get back to their normal size 3 weeks after birth have all this help so they don't get up at 4 in the morning to feed their little one and then decided to raid the fridge like I did. They don't always choose to breastfeed so they can afford to starve themselves. They get personal trainers in to achieve that beach body look and then brag about it so people like you and me feel ashamed when at 6 weeks we haven't got back in to our normal clothes. You have already done so amazingly well. 26 lb is nearly 2 stone. It took me 6 weeks to lose 7 lb recently so if you could tell me your secret I'm all ears!! image
  • Agree on the 9 months thing. I'm kinda stuck at the mo and weight not going anywhere so I'm concentrating on toning up and trying to eat less crap lol x
  • Thanks Rach, I think I needed to hear that.

The 26lbs sounds better then it really is. My little girl was just shy of 9 lbs when she was born, so probably about 15-20 lbs of that weight loss was the day she was born.

In reality I know it will take time, I guess I was just hoping I'd be able to get into my clothes without looking like a stuffed sausage.

I do go for a walk everyday with my baby and dog and it is usually 3-4 km. I need to be patient I think.

Thanks again image
  • LH86, toning is a huge part of it! I think i'd feel a little better if my whole midsection weren't all flab and stretch marks.

I agree the 9 month thing makes sense, I'm just kicking myself now for letting myself gain so much in my pregnancy
  • Hi Charley,

Don't beat yourself up for putting on weight during pregnancy - it is perfectly natural and above all else, is necessary for the proper development of your baby! I will tell you though, there is no reason it should take as long as 9 months to lose your baby weight and get back to virtually where you were before. It is more than feasible with proper planning and some self motivation.

As a fitness coach for postnatal mums this is something I see all the time! It's absolutely fantastic that you regularly go on long walks - that's the first thing I always recommend as it's easy & low impact, and gets you moving.

On top of that, it is a great idea to start incorporating some medium-intensity circuit-style workouts regularly. You can do these at home (while bebby sleeps), you don't need any equipment and as little as 10-15 minutes can be highly effective. The nature of circuit training means you are increasing the metabolic demand of your body way beyond that of low intensity/steady state exercise like walking, running, cycling etc., so you burn much more energy (read: "body fat") in much less time.

You mention you exercised a lot before you had your baby, so you may be familiar with the idea. I would recommend you try the following short circuit at home 3-4 times a week for 2 weeks and you'll notice the difference:

Repeat the following 3 times in a circuit fashion. 15 seconds rest between exercises. 1m30 rest after each round.
    1. Mountain climber (x20)
    2. Kneeling pushups (x10)
    3. Sit to squat (x15)
    4. Tricep dip [on sofa, chair, table] (x12)
    5. Reverse alternating Lunge (x10 each leg)
    6. Kneeling plank (30 seconds)

Of course, a sensible diet is also important for weight loss and extra care needs to be taken to strike a very exact balance as you are breast feeding too.

Good luck!
    Dan

• Thanks Dan, wishing I had seen your reply sooner. I've been doing some of the exercises you recommend, but not all.

Things seem to be going slow but I'm doing fairly well, I have now lost 38 of the 52lbs...it'll be 14 weeks tomorrow since giving birth.