Forum home Family life & relationships Health & fitness
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Water Aerobics In Pregnancy

Hi there, just wanted to ask a quick question. I wanted to know how safe iti s to do aqua aerobics whilst pregnant. I have read that it is safe, however I went to a class last night and it didn't feel right. Not that the exercise wasn't too strenuous but it was more the jumping around in the water and my bump swooshing everywhere - it just didn't feel supported. Unfortunately there are no aqua natal classes locally to me (or yoga classes for pregnancy) so thought that aqua aerobics would be the next best thing.

After yesterday's class I'm worried that I have harmed my baby. I have not felt her move since last night image

Looking forward to any advice you ladies may have x

CC x x
25 weeks today

Replies

• I do prenatal aqua aerobics and trust me, you still get the bump swishing around feeling!

It always distracts me for the first 10 minutes or so of the class until I get used to it a bit more. That said, the prenatal classes do limit the jumping around element and the ones I do have a lot of work with foam dumbell type things, movements using pool noodles, some short swims and arm exercises using kickboards and exercises for pelvic stability.

If you are worried it can't hurt to call your midwife and explain your concerns - hopefully she can put your mind at rest and/or get you in to check bubs is okay.

In terms of the water aerobics, I would be inclined to go to the pool and just swim (but no breaststroke because the kick you use for it isn't good for your pelvis etc in pregnancy, or so the physio that runs the classes I go to keeps saying). Then again, I'm also very cautious but best to be safe :\)