Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions

Huge Dilema - PGD v ICSI Help

Hi girls

How is everyone? Sorry that I haven't for a while as it was getting dificult coping with things as I have had a lot going on of late.

I was just wondering if anyone could offer me some words of wisdon. Most of you know me and know that in October, hubby and I were told he had a chromosome problem and that PGD would be the best way forward. This is where they test the embryo for extra chromosomes before putting the embryo back.

Well, after a lot of waiting we had our appointment with Guys yesterday and the lady advised us that with our chromosome issue that only 2% of embryos they have tested have the unbalanced chromosome. She advised that we could quite easily go for straight forward ICSI. She said that the numbers of embryo's kind of diminish through the pgd process and advised that chances are that if we did have an unbalanced embryo it would be picked up though the pregnancy tests (amnio/scans) or would miscarry iteslf.

I am so torn I don't know what to do. If we have icsi it is local and we can start pretty much straight away, if we do pgd we have to travel to London and pay any expenses we need and would also have to wait approx 3-4 months.

One minute I'm all for going local and then I think what if we have 6 goes and they all end in miscarriage, there is no way we can afford to pay for pgd ourselves.

Arrrghhhh, I think I'm going mad. Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Thanks for listening to me ramble.

V xxx


  • V,

    It's a really tricky decision to make. Personally, I think miscarriage would be devastating, whatever the circumstances and it can play havoc with your body for a while. However, at only 2% chance of unbalanced hormones, there's a good chance that you won't have to go through that.

    Is there a middle ground? Can you try ICSI whilst waiting for PGD? I don't know how the funding works [we're self-funded] so perhaps it's a silly question. I do know of women having NHS funding giving IUI a go whilst on the waiting list for IVF, just in case the IUI works.

    Argh ... sorry if I've confused you more :roll: but hope I haven't.


  • Thanks bubbliscious. How are you doing petal?

    Thank you so much for your advice. I think we have decided that if funding is approved then we are going to go with Pgd. I think it would be great if we could have the icsi whilst waiting but I don't think that is the case.

    Hope you are doing well.

    V xxx
Sign In or Register to comment.