Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

finally on the IVF road

Hi,

I'm a bit of a lurker but I've graduated from TTC to LTTTC and onto IVF and assisted conceptions. It's taken three years of being in denial, positive starts to the month, tears at the end of the month, single lines on a pregnancy test and 9 months of clomid.

We went to meet our consultant at Bourn Hall today after attending the seminar the other week. We're NHS patients in east anglia so are luckier than many in this unfair postcode lottery when it comes to IVF treatment in the UK at the moment.

We're going to commence nasal sprays the end of march with egg transfer pencilled in for the end of April (around Easter which made my dad laugh as he wondered if egg collection involved easter bunnies and baskets..I wish!). The egg collection process fills me with more fear than the injections so any good stories involving sedation instead of GA are welcomed!

It's been fab to read all the success stories on here recently. We are unexplained, 3 years without a hint of a line so I can never imagine seeing one but I can't help the small excited bubble in my tummy at the moment at the prospect of possible success, dare I allow it? I'm sure it's going to be a roller coaster but thank you for all the stories so far and lots of luck to everyone in my position over the next few months!

sxx image

Replies

• Welcome to the forum and good luck!!

Helen.xxx
  • welcome!

i have heard good things about your chosen clinic so i wish you lots of luck.

I had a sedation for egg collection and it was no different to g.a. except no after affects. The nurses said i might be aware of background noise but i didnt hear or feel a thing cos i was fast asleep! it was about 15 mins before i was fully awake but after a couple of hours i came home.

xx
  • Hi

Welcome and good luck Easters a lovely time of the year xx
  • Thanks for that angelheartuk1, I was thinking it would probably be like that but (silly me) I googled it and some frightening stories came back.
  • hey hun, im also east anglia. and we have our appointment at addenbrookes on 8th march, not sure how longi t will be till we go to bourne hall.

where abouts in east anglia are you???

did you go to addenbrookes hospital too?

hope ot hear from you soon (ive always been the only one in cambridge on here) so hoping ot find some new friends nearby xx

love stacey xx
  • Hey Mrs_E_xx

We are actually down the road near Bury St Edmunds so started at the West Suffolk Hospital before being referred to Bourn Hall for NHS treatment so not far away. It's not taken that long actually to get from WSH to Bourn we were referred in Oct and had the seminar date and appointment with the consulatant just after xmas. Will you be having some treatment at Addenbrooks before heading to Bourn? What stage are you at?
  • Sorry girls was lurking ha ha!

Just want to say really good luck to you all on your IVF journeys!! I went through all this to have my now 15 month old twins - it's worth it all ha ha!!

Re. the sedation V GA - i would go sedation route personally but everyones different.

I also found a relaxation CD specifically for IVF treatment briliant for my 2nd attempt (wish I'd had it for my 1st) i was sooo much calmer through the whole thing - can't remember what it was called as gave it to a friend after my treatment had been successful!

There's also a fantastic forum (think called IVF world) where you tend to find a whole group at the same stage as you and I found it great to compare notes and to help each other with the PMA on down days!

Anyway essay over sorry bout that!!

Good luck girlies & hope to see your BFP announcements soon!!
  • hey girls,

sonpixuk - im in soham just outside ely, so yer really not far lol. yes i think we have the same process at addenbrookes, weve had various tests done there and have an app on 8th march. but i jsut dont know what the process is after. i have no idea when well be at bourne hall. in ALL HONESTY i thought itd be so much quicker!!!! we have currently had 2 SA done, all my bloods and ive had an hystia- something. but what happens now?

im hoping we have all the treatment done at bourne hall but i honestly dont know lol.

im so scared xxxxx

and good luck to everyone else on thier cycles xxx