Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Will be getting refered to fertility clinic - advise please?

Hi as most of you proberly know husband has a low spearm count and I have a CD21 test coming in the next few weeks. We will get refered to a fertility clinic weather my test comes back good or bad. Providing I am not pregnant now, which is unlikey.

I guess as my test is aproching and would be getting the results soon after that then being refered...I am starting to think more about fertility clincs.

I just wondered what happens when you get refered? Do you have to go through all the same tests agian ie speam count and CD21? Or do they do different more in depth ones? or can you get stright into IVF? Do you get a choise of IUI or IVF?

Sorry so many questions but I have no idea what to expect, when I asked my doctor she wasnt really sure. So can any one help me build up a picture of it?

When you get refered is there a waiting time?

Thanks in advance x

Replies

• Options
    Hi I've got my first appointment at a fertility clinic in 2 weeks time. I've managed to find out a bit already so I'll share what I know with you. The clinics usually have to carry out 2 and 21 day bloods on you another sa will be done on hubby. They also do a hsg to us women to check the state of our tubes and womb as iui wouldn't work if you've got blocked tubes. For the ivf or icsi the wait time depends on where you live some places have no list where as others it can be a 2 year wait. Iui has a shorter waiting time but they tend not to use it when there is low numbers and motility of sperm. They sometimes use drugs on men to try to improve counts etc and it could be for 6 months and see what happens before moving you on to iui,ivf or icsi. hope that helps you out a bit,I'll share more info when I get it from the clinic. Hope your bloods come back + for ovulation
  • Options
    hi cup cake baby

welcome. . Its pretty much as wibblewobble said. . Im due to start my ivf start of may. . So just bit a head of wibblewobble. .

Once it gets going it all moves so fast i found.

It does all depend on your results etc. . I can only speak from personal ex but i was fine its was my oh sperm who motility was non existence. . He got anti body sperm. . So only road for US was ivf.

Can i ask how long you been tryin for? We nhs funded. . There was no wait for US for ivf We in midland. . however getting funding and appointments was about six weeks. But from first time i went doc about this was last October time. . Do you think you wilt be nhs?

Fingers crossed for you things move quickly and you get your bfp image sometimes US ladies just need a little help x x
  • Options

Hey, Thanks for both of your infomation, that has been some help to me and have a bit more of an idea. I didnt realise that the men can have drugs to upper there count so thats good.

We have been trying nearly 9 months now, she is refering us early becuase she knows about husbands low count. She did say noramally they would wait a year.

We will be on NHS, we are currently with the Swindon PCT, At the moment I know that they have just bought down the age to 23 (which we both are) and get up to 3 cycles of IVF. But this will be or has been reviews in April. I only know this because theres a link from our PCT which has infomation on the 'crtieria' or policy statement. Which is here if you are intrested. But like I said this will be reviewed this month so I don't know if they will change anything such as the amount of cycles or age etc.

Hopefully like you say it will be quick, want a baby so much, waiting is so hard already but I guess at least she is getting things moving with getting refered. Thanks agian image