Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

1st injection monday! woohoo!

hey ladies

picked up all my med for ivf cycle and start down reg Monday!

Am little scared of these injections takin over my body etc. .

Does anybody have any advice for me regards side effects injections etc. . Is there a best time to inject? I never thought in a million years i would have to have ivf! And here i am image i not said it for a while but come on bfp! X x x

Replies

• Hi just wanted to say yay for starting meds. I don't have any advice as I haven't got that far yet.... but wishing you lots of luck and a bfp image
  • Good luck with your injections the first is the worst then you just get used to them get some arnica cream for the bruising and I had acupuncture to which I think helped x
  • Hi Boooey,

I will be doing my 4th injection this evening. My clinic (Bourn Hall) said to do them between 6pm and 8pm, so I've been sitting down about 7.15ish to do them.

I was quite sure I would be OK before I did them, but when I sat down with the needle ready to go it took me ages but it doesn't hurt a bit. I don't feel it at all.

I used youtube and watched ladies do it on there to help me. Are you using the gonal pen? I forgot to hold it in for 10 seconds the other day and I forget to pinch and release the skin so wrote it down and put the list in the box to remind me.

Basically I lay out a clean towel to put everything on, get the stuff out of the fridge to warm a bit, wash my hands, get 3 alcohol wipes out, get the needle bin out, get the pen out and wipe a wipe around the end before putting the needle on. I then wipe the area I'm jabbing (i've done 2 on one side of the belly button and one on the other so far), I wait for the skin to dry, check I'm on 150 on the pen and pull out the plunger before deep breath, pinch skin, stab, clicks, release skin, count to 10 and gently pull out. Wipe (might be a spot of blood, might not).

It has felt a little wierd (warm and tuggy??) around the injection site but I have no bruising so far and no obvious side affects (although i did feel some twinges on the left side last night in bed), I do have a bit more cm than normal though and have been a bit grumpy but it's a lot to go through so no surprise really and I'm sure the side affects will kick in as we progress.

It's all very surreal, I have my first scan on wednesday when the first hurdle will be to make sure I respond (one of many hurdles to get to the transfer!) I still feel normal (and you do wonder if it works) but then I guess it affects everyone the different ways and we have to try and be positive.

It's my first time..if you are using the pen, don't forget to prime the pen before the first time you use it, carry on as normal, acupuncture isn't for me but do what you want to do to keep you calm.

hope that helps, I am a total novice so just thought I'd tell you how its going for me the first time.

Good luck!
  • hi booey

nothing to add except to say best of luck, everything crossed, have seen diabetics use a pen and its not like you'd imagine (a needle and syringe would not be nearly as practical) I know its easy said for me though. Will be checking in regularly to find out how its going! Good luck x x
  • hi sunpixuk.

Many thanks for your detailed descriptions it really helped me! X

i did my first injection tonight and didnt hurt really lol

am amazed i did it lol

thanks alfieimage am very excited hun now and scared lol

hope things are better with you as well! Chat anytime to me X x
  • Hi booey

Glad your injections are going well. It is amazing how quickly you get used to them! One thing that we do is make sure someone double checks if pos that you have drawn up the right amount. My DH does mine so I do the checking as after a while you stop concentrating so much on it all and then can doubt yourself!

I am starting the downreg on Thursday for fet so will be with you on the meds. Good luck xx
  • hi Debbie c

that's a very good Point there i shall get hubby to check amounts now image

yeah i did second Injection and getting use to it!

do you get a normal bleed in 7 to 10 days?

x

x x
  • Yes I think it was probably about that on the three times I have down regged now! So far I have always been ready after the two week scan so hopefully the same will happen this time too xx
  • cool. . Oh i noticed some pink blood this am when wiped sorry tmi is this normal? Im only on day 3 Dr?

Gosh am so thirsty also lol x x
  • hi booey, glad to hear all is going well and you don't feel too unwell. How many injections before you go back and what happens next? Sorry but am totally clueless in this area. Thinking of you and hope you don't get too many horrible symptoms x
  • hey alfie...

i have my injections for at least another 4 weeks i would say...i go back for a scan to check my body has down regualted (menopausal state)...then i start my second injections gonal f, which make me produce eggs lots hopfullyimageand i have scans every other day to check how my eggs are doing!...then whn they think am ready they give me one final injection someting else not sure what again now, and i go into theatre so they collect my eggs (fingers crossed)...

then they get spermy and fertilize my eggs either ivf/icsi...and watch the embreyos over 2,3 or 5 days...then go back into theatre and the put one embreyo back in!!!...then its the dreaded 2 week wait image

so thats it in a nutshell! image takes about approx 6-8 week process :evil:

had a few little side effects but nothing that bothers me to much alfie imagenice to see a frindly face xxx hope all is going well for you and oh xx
  • I am sure it is fine don't worry, it has to come out some time! What drug are you down regging with? I am going to be taking burselin from tomorrow xxx
  • Hi Booey

I thought the process was quicker than that image Don't know what made me think it!

I got a letter from LWH this morning,they've put back my result appointment by 6 days... they probably noticed that we were going back a week before we should have been (consultant said 6 weeks and they booked it for 5 on the day) I'm going to keep positive about it and keep telling myself they probs need them extra 6 days to put the pieces together :lol:

I'm still trying to decide what to tell work... One of the bosses is on about sending me out on a placement for my management training and I know there isn't much of a waiting list at liverpool if any for treatment. Tell them now or drag it out 4 weeks... or 5 as I'm off the week we get the results...... I am useless at making decisions! :roll:
  • hi Debbie

im takin burselin to down reg. . did you have any side effects?

Woke up this morning feeling bit down? Guess must be medication?

Hey wibblewobble

yeah think i waited bout six weeks something like that.

I personally would not mention anything till you have something dedicate what treatment they giving you. You want to be treated same. . Also you may not need much time off. . I had none yet but today maybe one lol. .have they given you any indication what may be happening? X x
  • Not really,don't think they can until after hubby's bloods come back. If he's a carrier of the CF gene then it'll be straight to icsi if not he'll have a tese to look for sperm and blockages (if they don't show on the ultra sound) I'm not actually sure if they can do anything for blockages... suppose it depends where they are. But from what I've read most couples with a similar situation usually end up having icsi.

Hope your feeling happier and more up-beat soon.. Take a day off and pamper yourself.
  • Hi Booey

Starting my jabs today, also on burselin so know it well. I have found in the past that side effects have mostly included headaches, feeling tired and also mood swings! Not all at once though and sometimes not at all. Hopefully it will pass soon for you.

Let me know how you get on xx
  • hey ladies

wibblewobble. . Good luck with your tests etc hope you get some answers soon to move forwardimage. . I didnt take day off in end lol made myself go ha ha x

hi Debbie c

good luck with Your injection sounds like your a pro at themimage

too be honest its day five today and my side effects have not been bad at all mainly emotional. So fingers crossed i can get through it alt like that lol. . Do you no what are chances of twins with single transfer? . . Can't seems to find that info anywhere? X
  • so glad things are happening booey! Will be on tenderhooks for you in that 2 week wait. I know the main issue for you and your OH was your OH's sperm count? So hopefully if you dont have fertility issues your body will respond well.

Did you see wispa got her BFP? So happy for her. I think there must be something in the air at the moment. xxx I hope so
  • Hi Booey

Onto day 5 for me today. In answer to your question I am not sure about twin stats. I try not to pay too close attention to many stats as find I can get a bit hung up on them!

How are you doing? When is your first scan? X
  • hi Debbie c

am onto day eight now, all going ok just waiting for af now should be any day now, then i shall book in for my scan. . I read that gettin pregnant first time with ivf is a "fluke", i find it hard to come terms with that lol, suppose easy to say its a fluke when you are actually pregnant lol. .. . My clinic off 60% live birth rate. . So am hoping the odds are in our favour with that.

looks like we might be on 2w w together lol maybeimage

hey alfie. I did see wispa get her bfp how fantastic for her!

Lets hope more to followimage