Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

how many eggs to transfer?

Hello ladies,

so after a good phone call today from the clinic 10 of my 14 eggs fertlised. On Saturday hubby and I are going for the ET. We have written on previous paper work 1 to 2 eggs. After discussion with my husband today he is keen to let the consultant decide, whilst i am curious to know how others came about their decisons on how many to put back in. I am more leaning towards 2 (for the greater chance) but obviously weary of multiple birth. Not that it would be an issue, just would rather not specifically ask for twins +.

Anyway i would be thankful for any advise or thoughts.

Victoria x x x x

Replies

• We were told throughout we were only allowed one but on the day the consultant recommended 2. Although ours didn't work I would recommend 2 because had it not worked and we would have only put one back I would have driven myself crazy wishing we had gone for 2. Having said that we only had 5 emryos and by the day of egg transfer there were only 2 at the desired stage so the option to freeze was not there image

I guess it depends just how opposed to twins you are, there are obviously more risks but I know 2 couples who have had twins through IVF and both pregnancies went reasonably well and both have beautiful healthy toddlers, which was what made us happy for the 2 to be put back. Next time I will be asking for 2 - if we get the embryo's that is!
  • HI Mrsshepuk,

After much research and discussion, we opted for 2. However, a call early this morning from the clinic said that they are progressing all 10 eggs to the blysto stage and won't be transfered till Monday (day5). They also said that at blysto stage they only as a rule transfer one, due to the high quality. So decision made for us after all.

we're very pleased with the progress so far, just praying it will continue till the end.

x x
  • As it stands i got to blasto stage and they only allowe done egg to go back in. awaiting a test in 4 days...... #longwait
  • Hiya,

I had 2 transferred after blasto stage, wanted a greater chance. It did work but I had a miscarriage at 6 weeks. Will definately ask for 2 this time as well. Good luck
  • So sorry to hear that, i got a BFP this morning, pretty buzzin, then read that! boo! but good to be kept in the real world! good luck for next time, stay strong x x