Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions

Disappointed...

Hi girls,

Well I had my initial consultation at the IVF clinic today after being referred for NHS funded IVF/ICSI and can't help but feeling alittle deflated.

The good news is that I have a good egg reserve and hubby's semen analysis has come back normal today. (Which previously was alittle low.)

However, I wasn't that impressed with the doctor. She tried to talk us into having IUI rather than IVF (which would ultimately forfeit our NHS IVF funding) but would entitle us to 3 cycles of IUI, for which the success rate is only 15%. We hadn't initially considered IUI as thought that PCOS accompanied with male factor would exclude us. I understand that IUI is less intrusive however 15% is not a high enough success rate for me to risk losing my IVF funding. I tried explaining this to her but she didn't seem to want to take no for an answer. My found myself getting quite impatient and agitated by it! I have emotionally prepared myself for the rollercoaster of IVF and just want to get a move on!

Anyway, she seemed to eventually accept it, after I refused IUI several times. Then she said that we wouldn't be able to start treatment until April! APRIL! And handed us a letter which explains why and then left the room!

The letter basically says that the PCT has spent all IVF funding for 2011/2012 and so we've got to wait till the new financial year commences in april! Despite us being told initially that there was no waiting list.

So basically I am now playing the waiting game, yet again! And April seems an eternity away!

Sorry for the essay!

xx

Replies

• Hi Hollie_M sorry to hear that you are feeling deflated but April will be here before you know it! TBH I have lost all faith in the NHS and if I could opt out I would and pay into a private health plan.

My DH has had 3 SA's doen so far the first two both said poor morphology and we're waiting for the results of the 3rd one (he had it done yesterday). We've been TTC a year and a half so far and have been told that I will have to wait 6 months just to discuss the results of hubby's SA's with a consultant and a further year and a half for any IVF treatment. My doctor also told me that 'I'm only 30 its not as if I'm 38' and won't even check my egg reserve.

We're now going to have to try and get the money together ourselves which is going to be a huge strain but I can't go through another 2 years of this. I really hope April comes around quickly and everything goes well with the IVF. I don't blame you for saying that you don't want IUI I've read alot of posts in my TTC journey and TBH I don't read many success stories with IUI people just usually end up going onto IVF.

Good luck hope you get your BFP soon x
  • Thanks loopy. I have also lost faith in the NHS. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut IVF funding altogether. I was considering going private but it seems silly when I've only got to wait afew months.

I can't believe that your doctor took that attitude with you! It doesn't matter how old you are, when you want a baby you want a baby! These long waits do my head in. It's so unfair. We waited 2 years before even seeing our GP, but if I knew it would all take so long I probably would have gone after 6 months because I always knew we'd have problems concieving.

I found out today that my doctor was actually wrong....we are entitled to X3 IUI cycles and x1 IVF cycle. Silly woman! It's a good job I did some researching.

Best of luck to you too, hopefully we'll both get a BFP soon xx
  • Hi Hollie_M does that mean you'll try IUI first now before IVF?

I wouldn't pay to go private as you haven't got long to wait. Even though I'd pay anything to have a baby I really hope we don't have to as it would put a huge strain on us financially we've been saving up for a new car as ours keeps breaking down and is a shed but we're holding off as if we pay for IVF we couldn't afford to change it.

My hubby went to see the doctor today about a thyroid problem, his is within the normal range so he doesn't need medication and so it won't affect us TTC. He has a problem with the brain telling the body that it isn't making enough - never straight forward is it :lol: but it should clear up on its own, so no medication and just another blood test in 3 months.

He managed to mention to the doctor that we are thinking about paying for a private consultation to discuss the results of his SA's. She advised to wait for the results of the 3rd SA which should be next Tuesday as she said it will then recommend our next step. I'm hoping that if the next one comes back the same we'll get to see a consultant sooner than the 6 months she first quoted. I wonder if she said 6 months as we haven't been officially diagnoised yet i.e. with the 3 SA's?

How long did you ahve to wait from being told you need to be referred to your first appointment with a consultant?

Good luck on your journey hun x
  • We were quite lucky. GP already knew about my PCOS due to blood tests that we'd had done previously so referred us as soon as we asked, and arranged hubby's semen analysis to be done whilst we waited for the hospital appointment. The appointment was for the next month, so not too bad at all.

The consultant at the hospital arranged for me to have the HSG (checking your tubes) which was done within a month, then we went back to see her again and started clomid, for 6 months which didn't work, and so then she referred us for IVF (end of november) and first appointment was yesterday.

If i was you I'd push them as much as possible for the hospital referal, especially since you know there is a problem...what's the point in waiting?

We are now considering the IUI first seeing as it's NHS funded. Just really wish we could start this month! xxx
  • Hollie_M good luck hun hope the IUI is successful. All the waiting is driving me up the wall too so I can totally understand how u feel.

Hopefully the doctor will ring my hubby with the results on Tuesday he's going to make an appointment for next week so we can try and push the referral x