Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

IUI and HCG trigger - can anyone help?

Hi, I've started IUI treatment and have been injecting Gonal-f since last Friday. I went for my follow-up scan this morning and all looks good to go for insemination on Tuesday morning.

I have been told to take my HCG trigger on Sunday night, and I asked the nurse if I should be doing this at the same time as I have been doing my FSH injects and she said yes. But I've since been reading, and lots of places seem to agree that ovulation takes place 36 hours after the trigger. If I take my injection at my usual time, it'll be 40 hours later that the IUI is done. I'm really scared that we'll miss it! I thought that the swimmers had to be already on their journey before ovulation?

Do you think I should hold off taking the injection until about midnight on Sunday? I so want this to work, and I totally trust my nurse (although my clinic dosn't have a great success rate!), but I am just scared that we're not making the most of the opportunity?

Can anyone advise?

Replies

• Hi MrsDoc. I also had the same dilemma. I did my 1st IUI last month (BFN) & it was 40hours between the trigger and the insemmination. I was so worried that the timing wouldn't be right. Infact, it actually crossed my mind that me & hubby should have BD'd the night of trigger, but the clinic advise against this because they want to save the best sperm. Although I don't suppose I'll ever know the reason why the IUI didn't work, but in the back of my mind I do wonder if the insemmination was too late. I'm about to start my 2nd cycle, & this time round i'll be following my gut instinct & me & hubby will be BD'd regardless of what the clinic say, after all there is no problem with his sperm, it's my PCOS that's the problem.

Let me know how you get on, best of luck for a BFP!! xxx

• Hi Hollie, I ended up doing the trigger later anyway (hubby and I had a huge fight, which was probably hormone-induced!), plus he had a bit of difficulty producing his sample, so I ended up being 1.5 hours later in getting my IUI, so I'm still a bit worried that it won't have worked.  I wanted to BD before too, but after the fight, neither of us felt like it (still haven't actually).

Good luck for round 2 - fingers crossed for a BFP this timexx