Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

IUI??

Hello Ladies...

Ive not posted on any of these boards for a while, although i have still been a bit of a lurker.

A bit about me incase you dont know me/cant remember:

TTC 4.5 years

Unexplained Infertility (although i feel there may be slight PCOS that hasnt been picked up)

6 months of clomid

Regular cycles

OH's SA normal

I recieved a letter this morning telling us that we will be starting IUI next month... Ive to contact them on 1st/2nd day of my May period...Im really nervous/excited image But i have a few things that i would like to ask...

My May period will be the week before my holiday abroad-which obviously isnt handy. Do u think I will be able to postpone treatment till June??  Has anyone here had any experience of this ??

I also havent mentioned any of this too work yet... Im really apprehensive about talking to work about this, how did you ladies get around this? And how many appointments should i expect? I live around a 50 minute drive from the hospital, so will need a fair bit of time away from work.

I'd be very greatful if anyone out there has any experience of this and can help me out in any way... Thanx for taking time to read this girls image

xx

Replies

• Hi mrscupcake, I live an hour from hospital so in similar situation. I went three times. One was planning appt and getting drugs, then day 8 for scan, everything was good to go so iui on day 11. But I know Mrs doc had a lot more trips to make. I haven't told work, I just say I have hospital appt, they never as what its for but if they did I would just scare my (male) boss by saying something about women's things! That would shut him up! I just took whole days off...thought that would raise less questions than coming back half way through day. Just had to resign myself to fact it would eat into annual leave. My clinic were very flexible about which cycle I started. So I'm sure it would be fine to postpone a month. As u know from other thread I found whole thing very positive and ended up with bfp on first cycle. Injections were nothing to worry about (think we all found that on other thread), iui was quick and virtually painless, and didn't have any horrible side effects from drugs. Good luck when it comes to starting. Tibby
  • Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post Mrs Tibby... Its very reassuring image

Its great to hear of a success story... and a very positive time-injections/cans.. etc. U really didnt have many scans at all eh, I might get away with it after all... As I really wouldnt like to tell work. Although i will need to think whether i want to take Annual Leave or tell them I have appointments... the thing is, my work ask to see the appointment card, but then again im not sure i can take annual leave at such short notice... as my workplace would need to get cover for me etc. Hmmm something i will defo have to think about. I expressed my concerns to OH earlier, and he really doesnt see the problem in telling work... is that a male thing? lol

Im going to get an email into the clinic before Monday morning to ask if we can hold off until June... After reading evrything again, Im sure this will be fine. I guess they get asked to postpone alot eh

Mrs Cupcake.

• Hi mrscupcake,

Good Luck for the IUI in June, I just thought i'd share my experience with you, I too did not want to tell my boss or anyone at work that i was undergoing fertility treatment. I had to go in to the hospital for scans quiet a lot as my follicals were taking so long to become the right size. Then when they were the right size there were to many folicales so we had to cancel the cycle. I would still need to go in for scans to make sure that all the folicales had shed.  So I thought it was better to tell the boss rather than him think i was just taking days off for the fun of it.

Trust me it was the best thing i did, he was so understanding he said i did not need to take it off as holiday as long as i came in to work after the appointment. Also he stopped giving me the stressful task as he knew that i was going through a tought time as it is. So for me it worked out well.

image TK image

• Thank you for taking time to reply... im definatly contemplating my boss... its just trying to find the right time.... Im going on holiday at the end of this month.. so think i might return from my holiday with more pma and the guts to tell her lol

Did u do another cycle... and if so did it work etc?? xx

• MrsCupcake87 good luck hun I hope it all goes well. I didn't tell my boss as he's not very understanding and could have made things awkward for me. I wasn't ready for IUI until day 30 so I had a lot of appointments to the clinic which was 30 minutes away. I managed to make my appointments early in the morning before work or late in the evening so I only had to miss a small amount of time of work and gave the usual excuses of Dr's appointments/dentist etc x