Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

cost of ivf. . how much would you spend?

hi ladies i just wondered how much other people are prepared to spend on ivf. Im hopefully going to be having a doner egg next year funded US as we already had two failed nhs. its about 7k a go, now knowing my luck it won't work first go. so when do you say that's enough. we haven't got the spare money atm so Will be loans and savings, but 3 goes at 21k! omg is a lot. obviously worth it if i get my baby, but if i don't am left with a lot of debt etc. how much would you spend? x x x

Replies

• Hi Boooey, how are you doing?

I often wonder that, my first try was on the NHS but we paid for the last try and we are paying of this one too.  So far I've had to borrow money as the cost for drugs are crazy.  I have to have a additional loads of drugs this time round and just one course for two weeks is £157.00. If all goes well I will have to be on them plus the others which are a couple of hundred too until I am 12 weeks!  If this time doesn't work we have to think about whether we start all over again and pay back what we have already borrowed and then pay out another 5k.  Sometimes I just feel like I am throwing money away and I know it will all be worth it if it works but like you said when do you stop?!?  image

Do you have to pay 7k each time??  Can they freeze some so the costs won't be as much second time round??

• 7K a go is a lot of money but, like you say, it is worth it if it works. I have just had one round of IVF which I am pretty sure has failed and it has made me think about what we are going to do if we don't get a positive next time. I spoke to my husband last night about it and he says he will do anything he can to ensure we can afford further rounds. We're both going to start putting even more money into savings each month (we started saving for IVF last year), plus he can borrow money from his parents who are in a position to help us if needs be, and we will sell one of our rental properties if we have to, but obviously this can't go on forever and there has to be a cut off point. At this point I can't really say how much we would be willing to spend in pursuit of a baby because I am right at the start of the IVF journey. I guess it depends how long we can easily fund it for and how much I am prepared to put my body through. Even though I responded well to the drugs and didn't really have many symptoms, it is still an emotional and physical toll and it isn't something I would want to do for the next 10 years of my life. I also don't want to waste the next ten years of my life chasing something that might never happen and living in constant misery. I guess if we don't get lucky with IVF in the next 2-3 years then we will move forward to adoption.

• It's such a hard decision, but your right; it's worth every penny when you get to hold your baby in your arms x

We set our budget BEFORE the first cycle.. We we're eligible for NHS funding of 1 cycle (if not successful and we had any frozen we would get FET funded aswell). So agreed to have the NHS cycle(s) and then fund 1 cycle ourselves then look to adoption.

We didnt have loads of savings and didn't want the debt so that was our limit.

You can always use FET (frozen embryo transfer) after a failed cycle which is a fraction of the price. My clinic charge ??1200 for FET

I hope & pray it works 1st time for you!! It did for us, and currently pregnant the 2nd time with what appears to be twins xx