Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Experienced IVFers....need advice!

I have almost finished my first round of IVF- due to test tomorrow.

Last night I started a light bleed (mixture of brown and pink watery cm). I woke up in the middle of the night with strong cramping and went to the toilet and saw that I had well and truely started af. Since I got up this morning I have had a lot of darkish brown cm with red and pink blood as well. I thought that the progesterone suppositories were supposed to delay af until you stop using them. Could it be that next time we have IVF I will need to be on a higher dosage of progesterone? Is it normal to start af during the IVF 2WW? x

Replies

• Hey Bibby bibby,  How are things now?? 

I've always been told that having a bleed doesn't always mean that it's a negative result so hopefully everything is ok.  

I've had spotting and brown stuff when I've been on them and I was on 2x400mg twice a day.  

• I've kind of accepted that this cycle is a write off. I've had far too much cramping, bleeding and clots for it to have worked. It's ok....we're going to go to see a private consultant while we wait for the next round because I honestly believe the reason I'm not getting pregnant is because of a hormonal issue that was triggered by a miscarriage I had in 2009. My body and hormones have not been right since and I have regularly complained to my dr for the past 3 years about excessive brown spotting, irregular periods and a shortening luteal phase yet they only seem to want to give me IVF rather than look further into the actual cause. My day 21 blood tests have even repeatedly come back borderline so they know my progesterone isn't rising properly after ovulation. The fact that I am bleeding now like a normal af and not just spotting suggests that I might perhaps need a higher dosage of progesterone next time. I am going to speak to the clinic tomorrow when I ring them with pregnancy test results and just check that my early af is normal.

Anyway, rant over! How are you? Bet you are counting down the days til the 30th????? x

• I spoke to a lady who has had a few failed IVF's and she was convinced that there was something wrong with her and the doctors weren't listening.  She went to another doctors and they run some test and she was right, she now has twins!!  You know your own body and if you think things aren't right then I think your doing the best thing by going somewhere else.  We have unexplained fertility but I recently found out I have high NK Cells which might be causing my problems.  Sounds crazy to say but I was actually relieved that they found something wrong with me!  If it hasn't worked this time (and I really hope thats not the case) then I hope they do the right tests and find out whats going on. Let me know how things go. xxx

I'm alright thanks.  I've been trying not to think about Thursday because when I do I get really nervous. My plan is to stay busy until then!! image  

• I think that is the thing...I know my body isn't right....it doesn't feel right and doesn't act right but whenever I have seen my dr about it she has keeps checking that I have no stds and that my smear test is up to date and then says that the spotting is "just one of those things"! My gut instinct is that there is something wrong with my hormones and it doesn't make sense to me for the NHS to fund IVF when there could be a very easy way to resolve this problem!!!!

It sounds promising that they have identified the high NK cells and that they can do something to help you with that. Good luck for Thursday. I really hope it works out for you. Let me know how you get on xxx