Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions

Being 20 and being told i need IVF in the next few years (Advice Needed)

Hi all,

Since i was sixteen i always knew i have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome but the chance of me children would be harder but possible. I am now twenty and have recently undergone an emergency operation to explore why i was having severe abdominal pain. The outcome was not as i expected. The general surgeon told me that he had to call an on call gynaecologist in to the theatre suite as my Polycystic Overies are some of the most severe he has seen in someone my age. He told me that i may never concieve naturally and i only have a short window of having children with the help of IVF. Even though i would love children im not ready to be having a child, i still have a year left of nursing studies at university and i dont have a partner. I dont wont to risk losing my chance to have children but i cant afford to postpone my career. If anyone is in a simular boat or has any advice it would be much appriciated.

X

Replies

• Hi Tutti

I also have PCOS, Unicornuate uterus, Only one tube (my other one is completely fused) and only one ovary.  It may seem like there is no hope, I thought the same thing when I found out, I've had first cycle of IVF which didn't work but the consultant is hopeful that it will so I really wouldn't give up hope.  I'm not sure what the consultant meant about a 'window' I'm 38 and still have two free cycles left on IVF.  I'm just in process of starting process for frozen transfer. 

Please don't think all is lost, the clinics these days can do miracles!!! image

xx

• Hi Georgie76,

to be honest i was in such shock i didnt think to ask questions im still waiting a gynaecology appointment but i hope i am elligable to have IVF/IUI on the NHS. Yeah i hope a miracle comes my way. Im sure they wilol find a way that will allow me to carry my own child. xx

• Hiya

I'm sure they will, tbh the only problem my PCOS has caused me is that AF are few and far between, thay give me drugs to sort that out though.  Try to stay positive, I'm sure it will all be possible.  Take a list of questions with you next time you meet consultant, I always forget everything I wanted to ask when I get in there lol.

Good luck with everything xxxx

• Well i quite annoyed with my drs they sent my referral off friday i saw my dr three weeks ago. So now i have to wait 6weeks to see my gynaecologist. Im fuming.

Xx
  • Aww, I know exactly how frustrated you feel.  I'm sure sometimes they just don't consider that it's your life they are messing with.  Try not to worry too much, I'm sure in 6 weeks when you see Gynaecologist they will put your mind at rest. 

Let me know how you get on xx

• Yeah i just want piece of mind as seeing a gynaecologist i know things will certainly moving forward.

Xx