Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Just beginning

Hi,

I've just had my second op to clear up ovarian cysts and endormetreosis (last year it was a grade 3 but this year it was worse). This time they did the dye thing which showed that my left tube was blocked. Its been recommended that we be refered for IVF. Trying to keep positive, but I really don't know what to expect or how long it will all take.

Any way, thanks for reading

Bob x

Replies

• I'm being referred to a hospital in London if that helps

• Hello Boben! Although I already have my baby I always look on this forum because it got me through some really dark times. I had Ivf with icsi because my husband had no sperm getting through, we tried for 7 years and my first go with only 2 eggs and only 1 fertilising I fell pregnant. There is lots of drugs and scans . Not sure about your hospital but my fertility clinic in Cambridgeshire the waiting list was quick, months. I could go into so many details but you will only get confused because depending on your own medication requirements they may do things differently. On a positive note you still have a good tube so there's no reason why you won't get pregnant with that, any questions I will help, may take a day with a 5 week old to care for!all the best, george
  • Hi boben! I'm goin through the same sort of thing at the moment. I had my 2nd op to clear up endo last july, i had my dye 2nd dye test done (HSG) and that confirmed that both my right and left tubes are blocked and after many attempts to unblock them, nothing worked. So now basically its a cycle of IVF  and hoping for the best. I am really nervous, i know exactly what u must have been going through... but i read bump in the message above?? so r u expecting? i really hope things worked/wprk out for you image xx

• Thank you for your comments. Pleased its worked out well for you, it's so encouraging to hear happy stories.

Kim, not pregnant just didn't want the thread getting lost.

Still waiting to be referred but my husband is looking into the possibility of going private. Hope things are going ok with you too and that you get things moving along soon. Have you been referred yet?

I've got to start a course of injections soon to suppress my periods so that the endo doesn't build up too much before I start the IVF. X
  • I'm waiting to be referred, basically they don't fund ivf below the age of 23 and I turn 23 in April so as soon as my birthday comes that's it they can get things moving. They told me I'd be waiting around 6 weeks for consultation and then I can start my injections ... what clinic are u using x
  • Not sure yet, London hospital was suggested but we are going to look into others in hope that the wait won't be as long.

I did read that - I bet you are counting down the days! That's good that they have given you a rough guide on how long it might take. I was just told it could be anything from weeks to months and because I'm in my twenties it might take longer as I'm not a priority.

I've got to book my appointment to stop my periods next week! A bit nervous!
  • I hope everything goes ok! I dont know if its because of the area i'm in that they are able to give an indication.. they told me there was no waiting list at all.. i've heard london clinics are very busy, im in nottingham so i'm using care fertility, they have the better reviews out of the 2 i have a choice of. Obviously because my ivf is funded i get a choice of 2 clinics. I feel your nerves, i'm the same .. and as for counting down the days, thats right! I'm really excited and i just want to get things moving now image x

• Hi Bobenhams

I'm also waiting for my first appt with the consultant (it's in March) as my husband and I will be going through IVF with ICSI. I have been trying to get referred for approx 2 years but as I was under 30 I wasn't allowed to be even seen. As soon as I turned 30 I was straight back to the docs! A year on and we finally have a date to see a doc at the Hosp. If there's anything I have learned it's that all PCTs are different unfortunately but your GP should be able to give you an indication. There is also a clinic in London that offers FREE IVF to under-35s if you donate half your healthy eggs to someone who needs them. London's Womens Clinic I think they are called? Private is very expensive so at the very least get your tests done on the NHS (as these can mount up) and go private from there if that is what you choose to do.

You also have to complete a 19 point checklist to see if you qualify for funding in the first place. There is probably an example online if you search?

Good luck image