Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

IVF but husband is a Cystsic Fibrosis carrier

We have just been put on the waiting list (which may I add could be two whole years image ) Since all the tests have come back it has shown that my husband has a faulty gene and is a cystic fibrosis carrier which has prevented a pipe to form from his testes to release sperm. We are going to be referred to genetic councillor but are really unsure of the processes. One doctor told us that we would only be able to use a donor if my husband was a CF carrier and the other doctor has said that we can continue with ICI IVF. We are both so confused and are struggling to find any support groups.

Can anyone help us please? Has anyone been through the same thing?

Cheers Vicci

Replies

• Hi Vicci

I didnt want to read and run - no advice sadly, but just wanted to wish you luck. Hope you get the answers you are needing very soon.

Ann-Marie x

• Hi Mardee

I am currently in a very similar situation. My husband was diagnosed with CF not long after birth and has been relatively healthy throughout adult life. He has however got the same as your husband - he is missing his vas deferens. He attends CF Adult Unit at Southampton and has been investigated to see if despite missing the tube, the sperm are still in his testes. As this is the case, he has sperm, they just can't mature and exit the normal way! He has to have them surgically removed and frozen ready for an ICSI round.

We are currently waiting for our first appointment with the Fertility unit at Bournemouth (have been waiting for an appointment for a year now) and we will go from there. Don't forget, just because he is missing the tube doesn't mean he doesn't have anything there.

The CF Trust is a good source of info.

Sara