Forum home› Getting pregnant› IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

A yr after being referred still no appt

Hi all

My husband and I have been TTC for 8 yrs and have only just been able to be referred through GP as turned 30. My husband has CF and is missing his vas deferens tube that carries the sperm out of the testes. He has sperm in there so they will have to remove it surgically and freeze it. Has anyone else's husband had this done?

We were referred by our GP but after a comedy of errors by the GP and hosp we have had 3 appts cancelled on us (GP not getting blood test results on time, not fulfilling the 19 point check list and the hosp deciding we were supposed to have been referred to a different hosp after all) it has been a full year since the first referral letter was sent to the hospital. Has anyone else waiting this long just to be seen? It's so frustrating that this is just for an appt!

As we are going NHS how long was it from your referral to start of treatment?

Thanks!

(new to this site!)

Replies

• Options
    Hello Sparrow, I'm sorry your gp screwed up so much, I know the feeling! I am currently holding my 5 week old baby boy after trying to get pregnant since June 2005 so I know your pain. My husband had sperm problems where they were not getting through and on analysis he only had 1 sperm and 2 immobile. He had PESA where they make an incision in the scrotum go into the testicle and collect the sperm and freeze it, they got 4 ampules full! He had a week off work and walked like he had been riding a horse for a month but it gets better. I imagine when you finally get your appointment you will see an andrologist who dealt with my husband.in reference to times well it depends where you live, I am Cambridgeshire.had my treatment at Bourne hall and after seeing the consultant in January I started down regulating in March.you will get there, I also would like to add I only got 2 eggs and only 1fertilized so it can happen, when your time comes, and it will take every day in your stride because what will be will be no matter how little you move from the sofa when you have your embryo put back!!all the best! George
  • Options

Hi Laurelladie

Thanks for taking the time to reply. And glad you got there in the end image Just got a letter from the hosp this morning funnily enough! Our appt is in March to see the consultant so we will see what happens. I think my husband is a little scared to say the least about what he has to go through! Did your husband have general aneasthetic?

• Options
    He did and would highly recommend to have a general. There is an option of a local if they just aspiratecthe sperm but that was not possible for my husband, he needed to bee cut open. Tell your husband not to worry, he will but think of it as his part in making the baby, you wouldn't want to be awake then they are cutting at your testicles! Don't be to sympathetic because believe me you have to go through so much as well!