Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Summer 2013 IVF/ISCI ladies

Replies

• Options

Thanks for the advice everyone - so far my boss knows I have hospital appointments and has been good to me, but I wonder how much I will be able to work once the drug routines start... I think another girl at work is going through IVF, but she hasn't personally told me this so I don't feel I can approach her to ask her advice - and also don't know if she would treat my news as confidential.  Also, I've applied for a more senior position in the company and don't think it would help my application if they knew that I may well be off work for a while.  It's all very stressful.  But I'm sure it'll work out in the end.

Hi JoBeech9 - looks like you're at a similar stage to me - we've had the blood tests and are waiting for the next appointment (July) - always seems to be waiting at the moment, but I'm sure there's going to be more activity coming soon, after reading some books and other people's experiences.  And my doctors surgery seemed rubbish.  They were really tactless, and didn't know which tests were needed for the referral - they booked me in with the nurse a few times, but didn't put on the system what swabs or bloods they needed - so I told her to do them all, just in case.  I'm just glad to be rid of the surgery and dealing with the hospital who seem to know what they are doing!

Also, good luck to anyone who has an appointment in the next week!

x

• Options

hiya newbies!! image

its so nice to have more ladies joining in, it really is a lovely thread image i just wanted to comment on the work thing, in feb this year i moved departments, applied for a new job within my work place, i was really scared about my manager finding out about my situation and not giving me the job! I kept it quiet, at that stage i didnt know when, how, why or what was going to happen as we hadnt even been to clinic yet, and an able women that does not have problems wouldnt say in an interview.. ohh yes and me and the partner are trying for a baby, so i figured why should i have to say anything until the times right!!

but i really dont think you need to be worrying about this, this is such a sensitive subject that all an employer can do is be supportive! to cover there own arse at least, because if they arent sensitive about this, alot can go wrong for the employer if you was to take this further. Anyway, though i decided to keep it quiet for the interview, a few of the women wetn behind my back that already knew my situation and told him anyway, (was not happy!!) but he mentioned it in the interview and he was lovely about it. So please try not to worry image i hope u are all getting on ok, and have all the support in the world!! we're in this together!! .. i love this thread

• Options

Jo depending on how low his count is you might have icsi, hope you have a good hospital, our hospital didn't do fertility so w went on to a fertility clinic. Xxx

• Options

Hi ladies, and welcome to the newbies.

My work has been wonderful about all of my appointments, up until now I have rarely missed work for any reason and I think that works in my favor.  I'm lucky in that I have a lot of medical time avaiable to me in my job and because I work in a union environment my work cannot request an explaination for the missed time.  I haven't told anyone at work why I have all of these appointments, I'm a very private person, I'm hoping to be promoted this year and I work in a very gossipy office...I don't trust that anything I tell someone wouldn't spread like wild fire.  At this point only my best friend and my hubby know about the testing which means I don't have a lot of outlets to voice my opinions, concerns and frustrations...which is why this forum has been wonderful!!

• Options

Hi Laura & Jo and a huge welcome. like joey said, i do hope your time here isnt too long and your bfps arent too far away.

Im quite shocked how hard it is to discuss ivf with an employer, you would think we would have moved on with discimination etc but for me its a big worry. I am a manager with and recently i have had 2 ladies come to me regarding time off for ivf treatment, and i know have tried to be extremely accomodating. however for me to have the same conversation with my boss would be a challenge. I dont think it will go as well as i know my time off will be seen as a huge inconvenience. in fact im dreading what i am going to say and im worrying it will add more stress to the process.

im currently on day 5 of gonal f and all is fine, no symptoms really at all (yet) Ive got my next scan on monday and looking at my schedule hopefully thats when i should be starting menupur. Ive only got enough gonal f to see me through til thur/fri so im hoping (desperatley hoping) that i might have egg collection fri. But im trying not to think that far ahead and just take each step at a time, so hopefully the stims are working.

hope everyone is doing well. x

Kimberley, you still due to start buserelin on wed?

• Options

hi andi, please dont let anybody make you feel like any of what you'r going through is an inconvenience! like you said, it makes me sad to think that people still havn't moved far enough forward with dealing with ivf. Women have babies everyday! As a woman, an employer should expect that at some point a female employee is going to have a baby. The only difference is, we need a little help!

and yes, i amn starting buserelin on wednesday image ca not wait! when is your next appointment? when do you find out when your egg collection is? xx

• Options

Hi ladies,

I have read enless threads for info and this is the only one i have comented on as you all seem like a lovely group of ladies that are very positive.

I am going through my 1st attempt and have been told i'm doing ICSI think that's prob because of my age 38 , think i'm prob the oldest on here but am very positive about it all. I'm currently on my 8th day of down reg just about getting used to the needles as I'm terrified of them bite my lip every time i inject lol, got my base line scan on July 4th.

As for my work i have only told my line manager and he has been fantastic i have to say i have even taught him how to do my job so that he can cover for me at short notice if needed image. image

As for telling anyone else i must say i have told no one as i felt this would help to keep any stress or expectations to a minimum which so far is working, its just nice to hear other peoples stories that are going through the same sort of thing.

Good luck to all

• Options

ohh yes andi, i forgot, how many days down reg were u when you started gonal f? xx

• Options

I was on down reg for 16 days before I stared gonal f, which is longer than I thought. 

Im starting to feel quite bloated, which is how I feel usually the day or so before I ovulate.

hope everyone is having a good weekend x

• Options

ohh ok, yes they said its usually around 2 weeks to me, but it could go in to the 3rd week, are they putting you to sleep for egg collection? or a heavy sedation? xx

• Options

They said it would've heavy sedation, to be honest I haven't asked many questions as I I've just been trying to think of only each stage. Husband even said the other night that 'its wired that we could actually end up being pregnant within the month, and we haven't even discussed the possibility of a positive outcome' after years of bfnto and disappointment I really don't want to get my hopes up too much.

• Options

Hi Suzanne, welcome to the thread, we are a friendly bunch! Hope you are doing well for down reg I start mine the first week of July all being well and i can get in for my baseline scan at the hospital! I must admit I am not funny about injections but its the giving them to myself which is odd, may have to get hubby to do it! 

My boss has been good so far, my work 'friend' told everyone so I didnt have any choice which wasnt ideal! I was v angry and upset but staying professional. We may well go onto ICSI if IUI is not successful, we are entitled to 4 on the nhs before one go of ivf/ICSI and once you have taken that you cannot go back down the scale to IUI. IUI is really an experiment really (see how I respond to the drugs and how hubby's chaps- as my RE calls it! lol! get on after the best ones are filtered off.

Really trying not to get over excited but optimistic : ) xx

• Options

I'm so excited of how quickly things seem to be moving for you ladies.

Andi - I'm with you on the focusing on each stage, I was doing that and it was keeping be very positive because this seemed to be moving along.  Now I'm just playing a waiting game so I don't have anything to focus on and I'm getting impatient and a little down. I understand that you don't want to get your hopes up, but it would be wonderful to hear that came full circle with this process!

Anyway, looks like I'm in for another cycle of ttc the good old fashion way before my treatment can start.

• Options

Joey139, your braver than me then as I couldn't let the other half give me an injection not that I don't trust him I just prefer to be in control.

Hope all goes well for you, we have been given funding for two tries but in kinda hoping we only need one fc, but we'll have to wait and see lol

• Options

Hiya girls... Hope you don't mind me jointinto you here. I've been a member of BE for a few years now, however the lasfearner or so I've not been on as much, everything was just getting a bt much.

we are going for our screening tests in July, to get the ball rolling. 

i will read back over this thread and try to get up to date with everyone else, as I feel this place might be my saviours again! 

Xx

• Options

hi lovelys image

Andi, i understand about the taking every stage individually, i started like that n then me being me just couldn't leave it alone so i asked every question upto pregnancy test stage when i went to the hospital! it's good that i sort of know what to expect but then sometimes i'm focusing too far ahead when i just need to deal with now, but thats me, impatient lol! 

Charley, good luck with the ttc the good old fashioned way! you never know, never lose hope image 

hi suzanne, welcome to the thread image i am completely with you regarding the injections! i start down reg on wednesday, i was certain my partner would be doing my injections until i got then home and had a practice, i much rather do it myself now image

Welcome mrscupcake image good luck with everything! do you know what treatment you are looking at yet? 

xxx

• Options

Hey Kimberley 2 let me know how you get on with the injections on weds, I have my lesson on Thurs then its just waiting for aunt flo to appear! Looking at 1st July! xx

• Options

aww not long then image it'll come round before you know it!! i'll be on here wednesday image xx

• Options

Hi ladies, had my 1st stims scan today and i have left there feeling deflated.

they counted only 7 follicles, 4 on left 10mm,7,7,6 and 3 on my right 7mm,6,5. The nurse seemed indifferent, didnt give an indication if this was good or bad just said that they were roughly the size they would expect for day7.

I think i was expecting alot more follicles. i had 5 on a normal cycle and was told that 10-15 was normal for someone my age... so was expecting to at least be producing within that range.

I have been told to stay on gonal f today then start menupur tomorrow so i supose its at least heading in the right direction. so tomorrow I will be on all 3 injections. My next scan is wedensday morning, the nurse said i may have more follicles by then...fingers crossed

• Options

hi andi,

as long as your not giving up yet! you have follicles, thats important, its not about quantity its quality that counts!! Do not get into a negative wave now!! your too close, and you need to be positive, relaxed and focused!! i have every faith that this is your turn!! hopefully you go to the hospital on wednesday and you walk away feeling "inflated" (see what i did there