Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Egg-Sharing and IVF

Hi ladies,

We have recently found out that my DH has a sperm count of less than 1 million and decided to start enquiring about IVF. We have a fertility appointment booked for the end of the month with NHS, but I started enquiring about egg-sharing and IVF privately. I will need IVF with such a low count and the egg-sharing program will make it more affordable. Also, I will hopefully be able to make someone happy by donating my eggs and giving them a chance of having a baby.

I am currently working with Manchester Fertility and wondered if any of you had any experience dealing with this clinic?

I would appreciate your views, experiences and stories image

Judy xx

Replies

• Hi Juhere this is my first time on here. I have just found out my remaining tube is blocked so were considering IVF and egg donation. Can you tell me what health checks I'd have to do to become an egg donor? Lou x

• Hi Lou,

Welcome to the forum! 

I am not sure if you will be able to donate eggs if you have a blocked tube. Try to find out what your local clinic's requirements are. Can you not get free IVF on the NHS?

Here are just some of the requirements of my local clinic:

• Be between the ages of 18 and 32
    • Be willing to undergo screening tests for medical conditions and have no known serious medical disability or family history of hereditary disorders
    • Know (or be able to find out) your medical history and that of your immediate family - children, siblings, parents and grandparents
    • Be able to commit your time to attend regular clinic appointments and the egg retrieval procedure
    • Agree to be registered with the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority as a donor
    • Be willing to be identified to any resulting children in the future
    • Not put yourself at risk of sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
    • Not knowingly omit any relevant information which could affect the health of any children born as a result of your donation

I had my first appointment and they did a blood test. They needed to find out my AMH levels as they need to be above a certain level. I have got some further appointments that include internal scans, full blood screen, counselling and also an appointment with the clinician. After that, they will try to match me to an egg receiver and start treatment. Think it all takes up to 3 months. IVF will be at a reduced cost due to the fact that I am donating eggs image

Hope this helps xxx